Purpose of Tracking Image

Hi,

This might be a silly question, but can someone explain to me the purpose of the tracking image? Since the Zapcode is what triggers the experience, I’m not sure exactly what the tracking image does. I just read in a different thread that a tracking image is not required in Designer projects, so if that is the case what is the benefit/advantage of including a tracking image? Is it just for properly placing the overlaid content in the proper position, or for when the zapcode is out of the camera view?

Thanks!
Mark

Hi Mark,

Great question, not a silly one at all.

When included, the tracking image is the anchor to which the experience is tied to. If you want an experience to be augmented into the real world, the target image is the reference to which it connects, allowing the user to move around the object/experience, with it fixed in place.

This means that you can add depth to posters or have 3D objects rise out of the target image, giving you better control over the viewing angles and movement.

So while technically target images aren’t required, we do recommend using one as they generally help to create more magical experiences where something in the real world “comes to life”.

It would be worth checking out this tutorial to get a clearer impression of this in action! ZapWorks Designer: How to make images come to life

Thanks,
Mark

1 Like