Zapbox Controller Design files

Hi,

Are there any files available for the design of the Zapbox Controller.

I would like to 3D Print a version and having the files would be a great start.

We’ve got an .obj of geometry of the top “diamond” part, which is the important bit to get right if you want to 3D print something more solid for that and then stick the codes on from the printable PDF.

controller.obj (1.5 KB)

Units are in meters.

If you can share any 3D prinatable files you make from this, that would be awesome! :slight_smile:

Thanks for that.

When I get a working 3D model would it be alright to put it up on Thingiverse (and here)?

Edit: Ooops should have read the message properly before downloading file and replying.

OK, I have had a look at that file, looks OK.

I don’t suppose you have any files for printing out the card version, at least I could take dimensions or fold it in Solidworks into a 3d model with trigger?

The patterns to be superimposed on the head would be helpful too.

Will to software work with white on black or only black on white controllers?

You can find a printable net for the pointcodes if you go back into your BackerKit survey. You added the Developer Bundle add-on through BackerKit (thanks!) so you should have access to those files there.

For now we’re keeping the printable net files exclusive to those Developer Bundle backers, so whilst we’re happy for you to share the model on Thingiverse (or wherever you want) please don’t share one with the codes on it. I was thinking you’d 3D print the shape, and then just print the net file onto paper and stick it onto the surface.

The codes need to be the colour they are in the files (black dot in the middle). Outside each circular pointcode it doesn’t matter what colour the rest of the face is though.

The net doesn’t include the trigger I’m afraid - it’s a bit too complicated to manufacture for print-at-home use, and for 3D printing would need to be designed differently anyway.

That is a shame I was planning on a model with the codes built in, oh well. Will I ever be able to do one with the codes?

I have been thinking about the trigger mechanism and I think I have a design which will work, so I will try it out later.

I’m happy for you to do that for your own use, but it’s more the sharing of that model where we’d need to think about it a bit more.

We’ve invested a lot more into ZapBox than we raised in the Kickstarter, so keeping the rights to the physical components so we can make revenue by selling them is something we need to protect.

Great, I’m interested to see how you get on with that.