How to make an AR game - New tutorial! 🏹

Hi everyone,

With the 2019 Game Developers Conference just around the corner, @George has been working hard to create a brand new tutorial for the ZapWorks community to help get you going with AR gaming.

Archery%20gif

Our six part video walkthrough will teach you, step by step, how to make an AR archery game in ZapWorks Studio 6. You’ll also develop the key skills that you can use to create new games of your own - including implementing game logic, setting up trigger regions and enabling you to add timer and score functionality to your projects.

And we’ve put together a free asset pack to get you started as well! As always, we cannot wait to see what you come up with and look forward to seeing your ingenuity on the forum.

Tutorial - AR archery game series

Happy zapping!

James and everyone at Team Zappar

5 Likes

Hi all! I am very excited recreating the game in zapwork studio.

I have a question with the scoring system.
Following the tutorials (using the Score subsymbol) I have been able to make an arrow when touching the target add 1 point (as it appears in the tutorial).

He had the idea of creating other arrows or other objects that when hit add 2 or more points.

Is this possible?

I say this because in the field of the subsymbol it only lets you put one type of increment (that is: all hits add up to 1 or all hits add up to 2, etc.)

I hope you can help me.

Thank you very much, for the tutorials they are great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes you can. We would just update the scoring subsymbol with some code. I would just need to know if you would like to have pre set scores like now just more. (ex 3 point levels - 1 point , 5 points, 10 points) or where you send the score val of the points to the score when you call the add code.

Steve

1 Like

This might be a clunky workaround but I did something like this on accident a while back. I was trying to get the score to increase by 1 point the first time the user touched a button, but I had quite a few buttons. I wrote a snippet of code for each button that looked like this:

symbol.nodes.FishTouch.one("pointerdown", (e) => {
// Runs when pointerdown occurs on the node

// Add score using exported function from the score symbol.
Score.nodes.script.add();

});

Where “FishTouch” was replaced with the name of each button. Long story short, I accidentally duplicated the name (imagine I had that snippet above for “FishTouch” twice) so when the user tapped on the “FishTouch” button, the code ran twice and the score went up by two.

I’m still relatively new to scripting, so like I said, it’s probably not the cleanest way to do what you’re asking, but it should work.

-Atlas

2 Likes

Here are 2 new Score subsymbols.

First has 5 preset scores. You will call them with Score.nodes.script.add(1); change the 1 for 1-5 to match your preset.

Second Just send the score you would like to add to the score. Score.nodes.script.add(25);

Steve

Score (1-5 pre set).zpp (599.0 KB)

Score(Custom Number).zpp (598.7 KB)

3 Likes