Weird client. Weird requirement

I’ve got a Client who wants me to make a ‘quasi’ AR experience, that isn’t really AR.

I’ve got a packshot in the environment and it kinda drops on screen, but the client isn’t happy that it’s a relative result (i.e; it’s not aesthetically consistent). I’ve explained that the whole point of AR is to track something, but they’re not having it… So, is there a way that I can ‘freeze’ the ground plane (I’ve tried various script hacks to no effect) so it’s fixed??? I’ve tried making it relative to screen Z without any success… I’ve also tried making the object itself relative to screen Z, which kinda works, but obviously it becomes orthographic, which looks terrible. Any pointers here would be gratefully appreciated.

Question, how are they expecting the user to interact with the packshot?
Is the user supposed to walk around it? Just rotate it around at a set distance?

It’s a total vanity piece (infuriating, I know. Could’ve just made it in Unity, but I’m in way too deep now). The pack drops on-screen, rotates a bit and just stays there, relative to nothing!! - It has to look exactly the same, 100% of the time.

I wonder if dropping it into a photosphere would get the job done. That’s something my team and I have been exploring for one of our experiences. It would be tricky to anchor it to a ground plane… but its not tracked to anything and should be the same every time.

Try looking at the 360 Panorama doc (and by extension, the interactive 360 panorama) and see if that can do what you’re after.

Will do. Thanks

Actually having looked at this, I get where you’re coming from but it’s not quite what I’m after… I’m going to word the question slightly differently, as I wasn’t as specific as I should have been… I guess what I’m looking to do, is ‘fix’ the ground plane. If you think of the engine/hotspots demo, where you have the ‘tap to place’ ground plane function… If I could specify the relative position of that plane so it’s the same all the time, I reckon I’ve won.

I think you want your scene to sit relative to the screen and ignore any input from the camera image or camera motion, is that it? If it is, then it should be pretty straightforward, just don’t use a tracking image or any orient features. And you can still add some interactivity from the touchscreen if you want (like swiping a 3d object to spin it).