Universal SDK vs Studio

For the sole purpose of WebAR, the Unity WebGL has been successful, but for future integration, is it more beneficial to learn studio and use it moving forward?

I see the studio has many integrated plug-ins for a button, and action support, that you can not benefit from using Unity WebGL. Including easy integration for image tracking and so forth.

Another cool feature would be the ZapBox. I know it claims a new Unity plugin for the future ZapBox, but wouldn’t native (studio) perform better?

Has anyone else experienced this cross-road before?

Let me first say I haven’t used Unity WebGL much yet. And it’s been a bit since I last used.
With that there are thing I like about the Unity AR pack. You can use the physics and other built in items that are not in ZapWorks. At this time you have to go thru a lot to make tracking images and upload files to Zappar unlike in ZapWorks.

Like you said ZapBox sdk will be coming down the road with we can then use the Unity multiplayer add on. Something ZapWorks don’t have yet.

For now I’m working in ZapWorks Studio. I may look more at Unity sdk later.

Steve

My customers LOVE webAR. No app to download is key for them.

1 Like

UniversalAR offers you more flexibility because it can be used with other frameworks and tools such as Unity and aframe. It’s not uncommon for clients to ask for an embedded webar experience in their website, and the way to do this is using UAR, although you can ask Zappar to embbed your ZapWorks Studio project for an extra fee.

UniversalAR also gets the latest features and upgrades while ZapWorks Studio tends to lag behind and get them later. The facetracking feature is much better on UniversalAR than on Zapworks Studio for example.

The advantage of Zapworks Studio is its ease of use. It’s a game framework for AR, so you have a nice GUI and wysiwyg features like the scene view, realtime visualization of animations, etc.

I see the studio has many integrated plug-ins for a button, and action support, that you can not benefit from using Unity WebGL. Including easy integration for image tracking and so forth.

Everything that you can do in Zapworks Studio you can do in Unity. Unity has the inspector, which allows you to attach scripts to gameobjects and depending on the case you barely code at all. Similar to actions but there are many more things. The difference is that Zapworks Studio already has a lot of stuff out of the box for AR, Unity does not. For Unity you only have the UAR SDK.

The main downside of Unity is build size. WebGL builds in Unity are heavy. Clients will often decline Unity because of it. Another point is that Unity does not officially support mobile WebGL yet. It’s kinda rough and you can run into various issues, but overall it works. Another downside…it takes 15~30min to build for WebGL, I’m not joking ;_;.

1 Like

Make sure you use strip code option. It straps all engine code that isn’t used. And trying using constraints instead of physics.

2 Likes