Trouble importing Fbx from maya into zapworks

Hi,

I am trying to export my objects with animations as fbx from Maya to zapworks. The fbx won’t import: I keep getting an “This file is invalid or unsupported:” message in zapworks. To test this, I created a box object in maya with a simple x transform animation (2 keyframes). I made sure my box adheres to the studio’s 3D requirements and exported it according to settings in zapworks documentation. I still get the same invalid or unsupported message in zapworks. Any help would be appreciated!

I am using zapworks studio v6.5.11 and Maya 2019

I am including the error message in zapworks: PNG

1 Like

Can you post you fbx file?

Steve

TEST_zappar.zip (5.5 KB)

It worked fine for me.
I made a zpp file of it for you.
TEST_zappar.zpp (5.0 KB)

Steve

Thanks Steve! I was able to open your zpp file and see the box working successfully. When I try to use the same file on my own in my own project I am still getting the “unsupported file” message. I am hitting the + sign under the Media library pane and selecting fbx from my files. I have also tried to drag the fbx into the import media file box. Not sure where I am going wrong…

If I hit the “+” and then Import Media Files… I get this.
Now that’s not right. It should not show up under Media Library. But If I drag the file in to the importing box I then get the.
So there is something wrong with Zapworks.

As far as how to fix it… Maybe uninstall and reinstall zapwork??

Steve
Ps. Glad my file works for you.

Thanks! Reinstalled zapworks and now my box imports but without the animation

1 Like

Make sure when you import it you have animation info.
also to play you have to use the timeline.

Steve

Thanks for your prompt response steve! I am using same fbx I sent to you so I know it has animation attached. Where in UI do I find the first image you have there? As far as controllers- I am not seeing any animations importing into controller panel like they did in the zpp file you sent. ( I have moved my box from Media library into root, when I select it in root, no animations appear in controller panel)

A second issue I am experiencing I downloaded a particle effect project file from this thread:
https://forum.zap.works/t/help-in-particle/821
the particleeffect.zpp file

When I open it it looks like code and images are all in there but when I press preview to see it I get “the spinning wheel of death” error, and it just stays on this screen I am attaching forever…PNG

Hi Judy. You will have to create the controller and timeline to set-up your animation. Here is some info that will help (https://docs.zap.works/studio/getting-started/controllers-and-states/). As for the particle question I’m not sure. Natively I don;t think studio supports particles. You should be able to do it with a particle animation with alpha background (created externally) and bring it in that way. As much as I love studio it doesn’t handle transparent video without a lot of effort though.

Good luck.

Sorry I was off for the new year.
Did @destery post help you find the timeline you needed? Let me know. If not I can make a video.
Like @destery said Zapworks doesn’t support particles but you can use that code.
There is a snowflake one here
and I like to use @jvouillon code here

Steve

Thank you steve! I was able to import my models successfully. I have a dumb question on @jvouillon particle code: when I try to preview nothing happens, how do I see particle effect in that project?

If your using the Lion one point it at his tracking image.
lion

Steve

1 Like