Transition from Designer to Studio

While I’ve been able to do some fun and nice things in Designer it is obviously limited. Would love to start moving to Studio but not sure if I can. My background is in graphic design but I do not really have coding skills. Do you need to have coding skills in order to work in Studio? And if so, could someone like me pick it up? Is it super complex coding? Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.

Hi Dan,

Studio is designed so that you can use it without any coding if you’d like! It’s quite similar to Designer - you drag and drop items into a scene, and have panels to adjust their properties (like the positions of objects, the colour of text etc).

If over time you learn how to add some scripting then this is just an added bonus! But you won’t miss out by not being able to right from the start. If you’re interested, the scripting is with a language called ‘Javascript’. This is a really popular language, and a great set of resources can be found here https://developer.mozilla.org/bm/docs/Web/JavaScript

Hope this helps!

Jordan

Edit: There is also a Zappar tutorial on using Javacsript (you might see it called TypeScript - this is just Javascript with a few extra rules) https://docs.zap.works/studio/scripting/introduction/typescript-primer/

Hi @dan,

It’s great to hear you’re looking to move into Studio, it certainly opens up a lot of possibilities!

Also, thank you @jordan.campbell, I couldn’t have put it any better myself :smiley:

We’ve made huge improvements to Studio to make it more user-friendly so, as Jordan said, the use of TypeScript is entirely optional.

While there are plenty of things you can create without scripting, when you’re ready, you can use Studio’s scripting functionality to further customise your experience.

I’d recommend taking a look at the features listed below, to get a feel for what you can create.

Studio also includes a number of project templates which you can easily customise with your own assets, and subsymbol templates to easily add functionality to an existing experience.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions please let us know.

All the best,
Seb

Hi @dan !

Thanks for your message and great to hear you’re interested in finding out more about Studio.

I’ve emailed you to discuss further.

Best,
Konstantina