Taking snapshot based on parallel orientation

I would like to trigger the camera to take a snapshot of an 8.5" x 11" image on a flat horizontal surface, but only when the image is parallel to the plane of the phone (so that the page is not skewed in the snapshot). I can imagine that there is an application of attitude orient to use the gyro to determine if the phone is parallel to the floor, but I’m not sure. Thanks for the help!

I was playing with doing something like this. I cold get data for pitch and yaw but not roll. well not yet still working on that one. The other problem I have is just because my phone maybe flat didn’t mean the photo was lined up.

Steve

Another idea came to me…I’ve never tried using multiple trigger regions, but if you had a narrow trigger region at each corner of a target image, then a trigger plane relative to the camera, you could tell when the camera is parallel to the trigger image. Is this possible?

I was thinking the same thing.
I want to make some thing like this.
(http://www.QuiverVision.com)

Steve

Yep, that’s what I was going for too.

There is one with a boat and an island. That I found most of the same 3d models. Was trying to figure out the same things on how to take the photo. I think I know what I need but only have some of it.

Steve

I do not know if I understood correctly but it would not be easier, you put the drawing of a rectangle in the app, and ask the person to fit the rectangle to the physical drawing and only after docking take the photo. Of course in order to work the physical design would have a rectangle in the same proportion of the app to make the fit. I do not know if this helps :slight_smile:

We found a app that you download a coloring page from. After coloring it you scan it with the app. It then make a 3d model or world and sets the material of the 3D models and the world to the colors you paint on a page.

Steve

Hi Guys,

There are a few ways this could be done.

@bradfordreese, you are correct that one way would be to use multiple trigger regions and work out whether they are parallel to the image.

Another way would be to have multiple raycasters relative to Z.screen, say one top left and one top right. There can then be reaction planes located in the corners of the image to be snapped. You can then add some logic to work out if all the raycasters are reacting with the planes. If they are, activate the snapshot.

If you would like me to go through this is a bit more detail, let me know.

Hope this helps.

George

Sure George!! if you would like to post an example :wink: it would save us some woke :grin:

Steve

Hi @stevesanerd,

This is a really quick example and has a few bugs, but will hopefully give an idea of my explanation.

If you have any questions about how it is set up, let me know.

You can download it here - Snapshot Example.zip (582.3 KB)

Thanks.
George