[SOLVED] Audio Not Working in Published Web AR (iOS Only)

I found this on another post HERE

Look for the speaker icon on top.

Steve

I have no speaker icon at the top. Of course, that post references a video, and my issue is with an audio file. I did try the &_mute=0 query string parameter to no avail. Thanks for the pointer though. I guess I’ll keep digging and experimenting.

EDIT: @George, are you aware of any audio issues with Web AR but only on iOS? Not sure what to try next.

You can email them at support@zappar.com as well.

Steve

Ah ok, will do.

Just learned something significant…

The audio won’t even play when clicking the play button in Studio on a Mac, but it works fine in Windows!

You know I have never got that to work on PC studio for me.

Steve

Even more strange, I’m running Win10 on my Mac, and it works under Windows but not on Mac. Go figure. :question: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Thanks to @George, this issue has been resolved!

I’m somewhat embarrassed to admit that it was simply due to my phone being “silenced”. There’s a physical switch on the device, which is intended primarily as a convenient way to temporarily silence it (such as during meetings, at the library, etc.) I have my device silenced ALL the time, and it’s been that way for years, ever since I got it. (I hate drawing attention to myself with audible alarms, ring tones, and notifications. I rely entirely on haptics and have set up numerous custom vibrations.)

It turns out the Zappar mobile app overrides that switch when playing audio, as does Safari - but only when user interaction triggers the sound (such as playing videos etc.) If audio attempts to play without the user explicitly triggering it, as is the case with my WebAR experience - Safari honors the “silenced” setting.

Anyway, thanks again, @George, and sorry you had to spend time sleuthing this out, but at least now we’re all the wiser! :smile:

2 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

And I was going to ask if your volume was down or off.
I just didn’t want to sound rude. LOL

Steve

1 Like

And the sad part is that it still wouldn’t have tipped me off to the problem, as the volume was in fact up, as I use the device all the time to watch videos, etc. This is apparently the first time since I got the device that audio has attempted to play via the browser without it having been explicitly triggered. :blush:

1 Like

It’s a new one on me too - we use the tap on “launch” to prepare a video so we can get audio on those, and we also start the web audio context then too which gets used for oggs and the like. Safari must have different rules about whether they respect the mute switch. Good sleuthing everyone!

2 Likes

In case anyone is looking for a short term solution before the Safari mute switch is taken care of I found a way around. I had two videos in my experience, one played audio regardless of the Safari mute switch and one which respected it. I converted the second video into the exact audio settings of the first. More specifically, I set the Bit Rate to 64kbps, Channels to 2 (stereo), and audio sample rate to 48.000 kHz. Once I did this, the audio would play regardless of the mute switch. Hope this helps someone!

2 Likes

Thanks for the great tip! Did you use WAV or OGG audio file format?

Hmm. I tried this. I have two videos and encoded both to have the same audio setting, but still only one plays. can you post your zapcode so I can try?

It didn’t work at all for me, unfortunately. :frowning_face:

Hi @rbaldonado and @shot,

Please feel free to get in touch with the support team at support@zappar.com. If you let us know the project URL (taken from my.zap.works), we can test adding a query string to the QR code URL to allow multiple videos audio to play when launched on iOS devices in the web.

George

i,ve tried almost all the solution provided in this thread, but not working for me. Still webar in ios has no sound.

Same problem here, streaming video plays ok but no sound in iOS devices / safari. WebAR.

Hi All,
Managed to find a workaround for this.
I took the audio file I wanted into Adobe Premier, then exported as a video file .mp4, but only exported the audio and works fine in Safari now for WebAR

Solved not for me. I opened a .WAV file in Audacity mixed the channels down to MONO and resampled the file to 22050 exported it to .OGG and nothing. The following worked for me.

1. Original file was .WAV
  2. Mix down channels to Mono and remix to 22050. Then export as Mp3 set bit rate to constant 128 and “Force export to mono”.
  3. Import the MP3 file. It imports the rate at 44100Hz again remix down to 22050 again export to .OGG this worked

I also found when putting my file on the root it changed some things. If the file name is music-rock.ogg on the root the file appears as Music-rock.ogg also if you drag the music to the script it changes it again to Music_rock.ogg. When I setup my var I typed out the actual file name music-rock.ogg.

This worked for me.

Please make the usage of the audio a bit more open and easier.

Hi, I solved setting “&_vids=6” in the deep link of the experience, 6 is the number of video that I have in the experience.