Png. transparency and video

Hi,

I am very new to this studio software, so I am trying to follow some tutorials and then expand on them.

I have an Alpha video material in my scene. and I want to place some planes in front of my video plane to add a layered effect. the planes in front of my video have transparent png materials which makes the plane look cut out. but my video plane always looks like its infront of the png layers when I publish the experience and view through my phone… When I set all the planes to full 3d, the video sits behinds the planes but transparency isn’t working, so my video looks like its cut out by the square plane and not the png image?

Is there a work around for this problem??

Any help would be most appreciated and excuse my ignorance if I am missing something totally stupid.

Thanks

Dan

p.s. this test image below shows how the video (which is the girls waving) should sit behind my clouds

alpha_test_layout

1 Like

dont worry I am a total fool and have worked it out!

2 Likes

Hello Dan,

That’s great that you found how to solve the issue, thanks for the update!

When using multiple PNG images and/or alpha videos in a Studio project, it’s preferable to set their layerMode property to ‘test_3d’. A ‘test_3d’ object will not affect the display of any later ‘full_3d’ or ‘test_3d’ objects.

For more information on layer modes, feel free to take a look at the Using layerMode article. :slight_smile:

Margaux

2 Likes

PNGs create transparency in one of two ways. One of these methods employs the same approach used by GIFs, with a single color defined as transparent, and the other is to set an alpha channel . One of the advantages of PNG single-color transparency is that it doesn’t remove a color from the available palette. However, the alpha channel is a much smoother method, as it is far better at blending colors, and allows you to select different levels of transparency in specific regions. The transparent areas of the PNG will blend and adjust naturally to whatever is behind the image when the background of the page isn’t a solid white or black color.

1 Like