Issues with 3D objects

3D object imported in Studio in either FBX or POD format does not appear right. In FBX format it is only partially shown, while in POD format nothing is visible (although it can be seen in PVRShamanGUI).
Are there any specifics on how 3D model needs to be formatted. It seems that textures are being lost during conversion to POD format.
I am able to open the file in Blender too. I can’t upload the zpp file as it is 10Mb.

Hi Marko, I got around this by double-clicking on each material, and then adding the texture for each. And then saving the pod file. I’m still looking at ways to streamline this process more.

Hi Guys,

@marko.joka it’s hard to tell without having your model (we’ve fixed the file upload limit which is now up to 30MB!) but on top of making sure to export the textures when exporting your model, the general points we have on textures are as follows:

• Zappar relies on image textures to render materials, it will not recognise procedural textures from Maya/3D Max or materials, All shaders must be linked to image files.

• Zappar also does not accept or create any dynamic lighting or shading, so all lighting & Metals should be baked into the texture. e.g Diffuse map, OC map, Normal map & Spec Map.

If you feel you are following these steps correctly and it’s still not working then feel free to send us over the FBX file and any textures you have.

Mark

2 Likes

I’ve seen a similar issue with a model recently.
What seems to be causing problems with zapworks studio for me was UV unwrapping a complex part in blender caused the pod file to show correctly in PVX (also with the correct textures when baked in blender) but not in zapworks (when importing it, the screen was just blanc).
I found that when I decreased the Angle limit slightly in the smart UV unwrap in blender, it solved my issue.
Maybe try that?

Mark did get our model but I found this out after digging a bit deeper and doing lot’s of trial and error.

FBX import for me doesn’t seem to work with baked textures…but I might need to do more experimenting with that…

Thanks for the insight @blabladiebla.

In general, any issues with certain 3D models not importing correctly wether it be animation, texture or error messages, feel free to send them over to us at support@zappar.com and we’ll be happy to look into the further.

The first place to troubleshoot however is the 3D Docs and making sure you’re hitting those import/export key points.

:slight_smile:

Hi,

When I import my 3d model with texture maps it only asks for the diff which it displays correctly. How do I add the spec and bump maps? If I drag them into the “add textures” section it causes all sorts of problems…

Hi there,

Zappar doesn’t accept or create any dynamic lighting or shading. This means that, within your 3D software, you’ll need to bake those separate textures (e.g. diffuse, spec, normal and OC maps) into the 3D model’s texture .

Please, let us know if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
Margaux

Got it thanks :slight_smile: baking them works perfectly.

1 Like