Introducing Instant Tracking

Will the aforementioned full word tracking be available only on Zapworks Studio or will it work with the Universal SDK too? The latter is going to be awesome

Yup this will be for both Studio and Universal AR.

In fact the plan is the Universal AR SDKs will get a public beta first, as it’s easy for users to opt-in to a particular beta version and lock to that version if it works well for your use case. That means we can push behaviour changing updates to that beta branch without worrying about breaking any existing content that uses any older beta releases.

1 Like

This is fantastic to hear, any ideas on when this beta will be launched?
Thank you very much Simon

Is there a way to place multiple models into an environment?

2 Likes

InstantTrackingLookAtCameraRotateScale.zpp (324.2 KB)

I added slight modifications to George’s latest subsymbol. The model will now always face the camera, and you can rotate/scale after placing the model on the ground.

3 Likes

To get “look at” behaviour there’s a second argument to InstantTracker.setAnchorTransformFromCamera which gives various options for the orientation of the anchor that is placed. My post with the original demo contains the best current documentation for this: Instant Tracking WebAR Beta - Example content and API discussion

If you want a placement UI where the content appears at a fixed camera relative position and facing the camera until a “place / lock” button is pressed, then that is accomplished by re-setting the anchor each frame in that placement mode, something like this:
instantTracker.setAnchorTransformFromCamera([0, 0, -5], (Z as any).InstantTracker.TransformOrientation.z_up_y_away_from_user);

When the lock button is tapped, simply stop calling that function each frame, and Instant Tracking will update the anchor position relative to the camera as the camera moves to keep it locked in place.

1 Like

We’ve got a few beta builds internally with it integrated into Universal AR but want to make some more improvements before we officially launch the public beta. We’re working flat out to get there but it’s impossible to give any accurate estimates, but if you twisted my arm, I’d say we hope there will be something public for you to play with in the next month or so.

1 Like

Right now you could use multiple InstantTrackers, but as all the anchors will need to stay in view for it to work well, it might not be that useful.

When we’ve released the full world tracking solution we’ll think about an API for multiple anchors (and extended tracking) that will all share the same world map data. The initial focus though is just to improve the implementation backing the single-anchor InstantTracking API to allow looking away from the anchor and more stable long-term placement.

1 Like

I want to place a ring on a finger or nail polish. Is this something I can use instant tracking for? Do you have an example I can play around with?

Thanks for your reply.
I have another question.
I’m currently using a hobbyist account.
I’ve put together an instant tracking experience I want my friends to try remotely.
As a hobbyist account is it possible to have a custom webar website to launch the experience?

Instant Tracking isn’t really suitable for these use cases - it’s best to think of it as a lightweight version of world tracking. Your examples would probably need specific hand-tracking methods (likely 3D for the first, and a 2D segmentation for the latter). We don’t currently offer either of those tracking types.

Hobbyist accounts can use the https://beta.zappar.app site to make use of instant tracking. You can create a deep-link to your experience that you can share with your friends by following my instructions in this post: Instant Tracking WebAR Beta - Example content and API discussion

Once you have your https://beta.zappar.app deep-link URL you can also create a QR code for it using one of the free online QR code generators.

This is some great work. Thanks for the sub symbol.
I am having one issue.
When previewing and publishing, I can’t reset the placement of the model by tapping the screen. I have to restart the experience.
Hopefully you can help me.
Thanks!

Hi @simon this is looking great, good work! Any more updates on if the world tracking beta is close to been released? I have an upcoming client project that this would be ideal for and would love to start testing this out.

1 Like

So we can still customise the launch screen with clients brand in “Beta” version, right?

If I remember right you just ask them to add it to your custom launch screen.

Steve

No sorry, never asked for that.
But can you tell me if I set the “Lite branded splash screen” in my project, it will also work with “beta”?
Because It’s an instant tracking for one client.

Thanks

I haven’t tested it in a while but I believe the “Lite branded splash screen” has all beta’s turned on.
And you would not need to go to the beta link. Just scan as normal. But I would still test it first. You should know right away.
If not just email them to turn it on for what ever one you want to use.

Steve

Alright, thank you Steve!

Correct @stevesanerd! The Lite Branded Splash Screen has Instant World Tracking enabled by default. @seelosdavid simply publish your experience and set the trigger to launch into it and all should work :slight_smile:

George

1 Like

Thank you @George and @stevesanerd for your help! :smiley::+1:

1 Like