Introducing Instant Tracking

Yup there’s no difference in terms of handling the traffic - the sites are hosted and served via a CDN in exactly the same way, and the ZapWorks project hosting is also on a CDN that is the same regardless of the app or site that is used to view the content.

1 Like

Is there any update on this? I would love to see updated code on Instant Tracking. When I try the original forum demo, the placed object changes scale over time, until I place it again and it resets.

Perhaps there is a way to instruct the user to aim the camera straight down at the surface, and the captured image could be immediately converted internally into to an image target. Then you would get all of the solid and stable tracking we have experienced in our Zappar Image Tracking projects. Or is that is how it currently works?

The roadmap I outlined in the initial post is still being worked through, but that’s the best guide of where things are going.

Instant Tracking uses quite different techniques from image tracking; and needs to do so as the planar assumption will need to be relaxed to allow for larger-environment world tracking. The current implementation just uses a frame-to-frame update which does mean it can be susceptible to drift (it depends a bit on the type of surface texture how much drift occurs). Part of the work we’re doing now involves maintaining the identities and computing reference position of tracked points over longer time windows to keep things more consistent.

This is a really high priority project for us, but I’m afraid I’m not able to give any timeframe estimates for releasing any future milestones at this stage.

2 Likes

It’s now March 2021, have there been any new code pushes related to Instant Tracking?

We had really good success implementing Image Tracking for Web AR, but I am curious if we could lose the image target requirement. The initial Instant Tracking release had too much drift for us to use in production.

3 Likes

Hi @rendermouse - we’re making good progress internally and do now have full world tracking running in the browsers on both iOS and Android. We’re hoping to be in a position to make this available by the end of this month but it might slip into Q2.

I’ll definitely update this thread when there’s any news - stay tuned!

4 Likes

Hi all,

I thought I’d pop a slightly modified version of the instant tracking subsymbol in this thread. It is set up in a similar way as the full world tracking subsymbol found in Studio - has a ‘tap to place’ button that appears and also allows for multi finger swipe to resize the content while in the placement state.

instant-tracking-tap-to-place.zpp (824.6 KB)

With this being a subsymbol (rather than an example project), you can simply:

1. Download the subsymbol above.
  2. Drag it into your symbol definitions panel.
  3. Drag it into your Hierarchy.
  4. Add your content into the Ground attachment point.
  5. Preview / Publish.

These steps are shown below:

instant-tracking-tap-to-place

You can view this example in action by scanning the QR code below:
Qmo4Z1w2PWXM

Please note that instant tracking in the web still requires to be launched in beta.zappar.app or a custom WebAR site.

As Simon has mentioned in the post above, full world tracking in the web browser is in development, so keep an eye out for more information on that in the coming months. :eyes:

George

9 Likes

I downloaded the latest Unity SDK, and switched my project from Image Tracking to Instant Tracking.

With a good textured surface, the Instant Tracking is rock-solid.

Well done! This is looking really, really good.

Ha, thanks, though I wouldn’t go that far myself yet…

World tracking is looking like it will offer a big step up in tracking quality and should also reduce the need for the really well-textured placement surface. We’re really looking forward to making that available for people to test out, shouldn’t be too long now!

2 Likes

Hallo George thank you so much for the file… I would like to use this zpp to attach a 3d object to a real object by using a silhouette that is on the screen on the ‘placement preview state’ may you give me some advices?
Otherwise would it be possible to have the scripts in this file commented?

Best Regards
Luca

Wow! Just now I logged in to see what is the test link we use to try the extended tracking and I come across this update.

Thanks a lot!!!

John

Is this available to use on actual client projects? (using zapworks studio)

Hi @wil,

Great question.

You can definitely use instant world tracking for client projects. Some of our most recent live projects contain and use instant world tracking. Currently it’s still classed as ‘Beta’ as we want to make some slight changes, but it’s in a stable enough state to use in live projects.

Please note that because it’s still in ‘Beta’ you’ll have to launch an experience made with instant world tracking into either beta.zappar.app or a custom splash screen.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to get in touch with us (support@zappar.com).

George

I have a question regarding location services, which some have said are not available due to privacy concerns. Is there an alternative that could work well for somebody wanting to build an AR tour of a city? My team wants to create an AR experience using certain sites around Portland, OR to trigger content. We are looking around at apps that provide location tracking for this purpose. If Zappar does not have it, do you know of a way in which we could still use Zap to recognize site-specific markers?

Hi Simon, Enjoyed working with Unity SDK using instant tracking. Just wondering how far off the World Tracking feature may be? :slight_smile:

Hi @patrick.wade2,

We’ve got some interesting updates on instant world tracking coming this week, I’d recommend signing up to our AR Pioneers Summit to find out more.

We’ll be sure to update this thread with the key points from that update as well.

George

3 Likes

following on from this thread - love the announcements today about improved tracking, however I have a current client project that needs to complete in the next week or 2 that could do with some help.

I am currently using the instant tracking ZPP file you uploaded in the thread, however it doesn’t seem to work as well as your demos. Could you help me understand how to implement it?

One thing I don’t understand is: " to be launched in beta.zappar.app or a custom WebAR site." - our experience is using Studio and the “splash screen” webAR site - is this the correct “custom webAR” site - or how would I upload it to “beta.zappar” ?

Confused as to what I need to do to get world tacking to work as well as your demos

Thanks for your help

Will the aforementioned full word tracking be available only on Zapworks Studio or will it work with the Universal SDK too? The latter is going to be awesome

Yup this will be for both Studio and Universal AR.

In fact the plan is the Universal AR SDKs will get a public beta first, as it’s easy for users to opt-in to a particular beta version and lock to that version if it works well for your use case. That means we can push behaviour changing updates to that beta branch without worrying about breaking any existing content that uses any older beta releases.

1 Like

This is fantastic to hear, any ideas on when this beta will be launched?
Thank you very much Simon

Is there a way to place multiple models into an environment?

2 Likes