Instant Tracking WebAR Beta - Example content and API discussion

Hey @holly

The reason the support email takes a while to reply is that we don’t typically offer email support for customers on our Starter plan but Pro and Enterprise only. In your case, we really wanted to help so I recommended our support folks got back to you as quickly as they could.

In short - yes that’s the case. Our improved Instant World Tracking is only available in beta.

If you wanted to use the beta you could upgrade to a Pro license for the period of this campaign which unlocks the Lite Branded distribution. This distribution method supports the use of our Instant World Tracking beta.

If you’re looking to upgrade to a Pro you can do this via the ZapWorks CMS (my.zap.works) and we can allocate the beta to your account. However, I can’t guarantee this will happen by the end of the week, as that is quite a short timeframe.

I’m going to be out of office for a while now so please can you reach out directly to support and I’ll ask them to keep an eye on this forum post and help out as much as we can. Thanks!

Hi Tom,

Thanks for replying and thanks for all the info.
I apologise for my ignorance, the project came up quickly so I’ve not had a lot of researching time.

Are there any options for WebAR on the Starter plan? All I require is the User to scan the QR code and when the experience loads, it augments a video in 3D space.

Many Thanks

@tom.defraine

When did you take away the WebAR - Lite branded splash screen from the Starter plan?
I guess I have been working so much on a Pro plan I didn’t see this. It was how I would test any beta-related projects.

Seeing that using the https://wtbeta.arweb.app/ is a problem for some like @holly and me. And knowing Zappar has taken the let bill for everything approach as of late. Is there a way we could non a lite branded WebAR splash page? Just another Zappar red one but has the beta turned on for us to test with. You could even put “BETA” on it so you don’t lose out on making that buck (pound)

Steve

It works well!
But how can I scale with 2-fingers?
Thanks!

I agree with Steve.
I’m finding it incredibly difficult to create a simple WebAR experience that works without a load of barriers in the way.

I was originally using the Tracked Image template in Studio but was told that doesn’t work in WebAR and to use Instant Tracking instead, only to find that’s not supported on the Starter plan unless I go through the beta.zappar.app URL, which defeats the purpose of the straightforward ‘scan and augment’ function.

All I need is a simple WebAR experience; to scan a QR Code, load the experience and augment an alpha video from the QR Code.
I also don’t want to have to start a new project as the QR Codes I currently have are being used by my clients so can’t be changed.

Surely there’s a straightforward way to achieve something as simple as this?

@stevesanerd - As far as I remember, the lite-branded splash page has always been a Pro-only feature. https://wtbeta.zappar.app and https://beta.zappar.app are the two Zappar-branded beta pages with the two different Instant Tracking implementations. We haven’t added them as launch destinations as they’re not intended to be permanent solutions - but you can absolutely link to them directly with a QR code, you’ll just have to generate one with a third-party QR generator rather than using the ZapWorks one. I explained how to do this earlier in this thread.

@holly - Image Tracking does absolutely work in WebAR, but as I explained in your other thread it does have some requirements on the size of the image in the camera view and the level and type of detail in the target image - and your small, tightly cropped QR code image wasn’t ideal for our Image Tracking algorithm. You can also launch Instant Tracking into the beta site from a starter plan with a QR code, as I mentioned to Steve above, but (as it is the beta site) this is not exposed in the ZapWorks UI for ZapWorks-generated QR codes.

I’ve spoken to our support team about this and it seems like they have already suggested the best way forward is for us to move your QR code to a Designer project, which will allow you to easily set up and publish an alpha video project that can make use Instant Tracking.

1 Like

Hay Simon,

I could have sworn I’ve used the lite-branded splash page with my private account, but I have been working with the Pro account for sometime now so…

Is there away to add beta splash pages to the back end? Just to help us with quicker testing.
I would also love to add the QR code to ZapWorks. That way I don’t have to keep the QR image up to scan for testing.

Steve