How does a zapcode work?

Also, I did another test , which is interesting, because it proves that the Zap (zappar’s initial tracking image) is more picky than the tracking images we specify afterwards.

I whited out one of the bars on my Zap, and it would not work to start the Zap… here is that whited out zap:

arrow-tracking-test04d

So, then I used the same whited-out Zap as a tracking image instead, and generated a new preview zap. Unfortunately, the actions were in fact triggered upon tracking. So I decided to white out a bunch of them, like this …

arrow-tracking-test04f

And the tracking image was still accepted, while the zap was not.

Hi @shawnjoh,

I have created a new topic for this question as I believe it could help others understand how zapcodes work and why.

Zapcodes are unique identifiers that can be scanned using the Zappar application to initiate an experience linked to them. Zapcodes are usually found somewhere on a tracking image but are not created to be used as the tracking image itself.

I have added a picture which explains how the zapcodes work once they are scanned:

The%20bolts%20and%20bits

The bits around the bolt symbol are unique to that zapcode. Removing or editing these will alter the unique ID number and cause an error/incorrect experience to be run.

You can find out lots more information on best practices and color changing of the zapcode on our documentation page here - Advanced Zapcodes Customization.

Hope this helps,

George

1 Like

Thank you George - this is valuable information!