Geolocation

With geolocation you can make a portal experience without a marker and without plane detection. This is really useful and powerful. All browsers already implement the geolocation api, are there any plans to implementing geolocation AR?

That video appears to be running on the old “project tango” hardware (the thing Google were doing that required depth sensors before they did ARCore) - I don’t think it’s geolocation API. GPS is only accurate to a couple of metres at very best (outdoors with clear view of sky in all directions), I don’t think it would work really for portal experiences.

Full world tracking for WebAR that would be capable of portal experiences is something we’re very actively working on at the moment.

The web Geolocation APIs can be used alongside the Universal AR SDKs for all the webgl engines. We don’t have any short-term plans to bring that to Studio experiences.

Hope that helps!

I see…strange, I was told it used ARJS’ location based feature, which uses geolocation.

The web Geolocation APIs can be used alongside the Universal AR SDKs for all the webgl engines. We don’t have any short-term plans to bring that to Studio experiences.

Can the UniversalAR SDK be used to make experiences like this one ?

That’s presumably using ARKit / ARCore to do most of the tracking (and ground plane detection), and just initialising the content via GPS. That should be possible in Universal AR when we release the full world tracking implementation, in combination with the standard web geolocation API.

1 Like