Error in training a tracking image

Hi there,

I tried to train a tracking image several times, but it does not work. When I drag it to the hierarchy I can only see a chess board pattern. Can someone please help me?

1 Like

Hi @monique.kroll,

Please take a look at this forum post:

If this doesn’t solve the problem then free feel to send the tracking image you are trying to train to support@zappar.com so we can look into this further.

Thanks.

George

1 Like

Hay George I had this same problem when I was working on my Sipsmith entry. I could not even train your default tracking image that you use for other examples. That’s why my tracking image for my sipsmith entry is not the tag that they showed. But the next day it worked without any problems.

I was going to ask is the tracking image create completely within zapworks or do you have to have some type of web uplink for it to be created?

Steve

1 Like

Thank you for sending the tracking image through to support @monique.kroll.

There are a few noticeable things:

• Studio does not support CMYK color space. The image will need to be exported as RGB.

• The image’s dimensions are 8534 x 6518. Please use a lower standardized resolution.

• The tracking image lacks detail and contrast which may produce poor tracking when the experience is run. I’d recommend taking a look at our What makes a good tracking image video to learn our tips and tricks.

Hope this helps.

George

1 Like

Thanks George! It was the CMYK color space. Now it works with the RGB! :+1::+1:

4 Likes

Hey @stevesanerd,

I’m sorry, I promise I wasn’t ignoring you!

When training up an image to become a target, the conversion to a .zpt file is all done locally. We do not store the target image specifically on a server.

It’s strange that you have found this issue and that it seemed to solve itself. Did the training process crash and never complete or create a failed checkerboard version?

We will keep an eye out and see if we can re-create this issue and ultimately try and find a fix.

All the best.

George

1 Like

Your fine George…
I got the checkered box with any image I loaded. I closed and reopened zapworks and then tried the image used in one of zappars demos. Still no luck. I just pulled a saved zpt file and used it. Like I said that’s why my tracking image for my sipsmith competition is not there demo tag.

But it worked the next day. My new problem this week is the windows zappar app. It will turn on my camera on my laptop but I get just a black screen. I now use a usb camera.

Steve

1 Like

I am currently having the same problem. I checked all the criteria listed in the replies above and still, any image I want to track today comes out as a checkerboard. Any solution to this or should I just pray this will just work all of a sudden at some point in time?

I had a problem training a tracking image the other day. Did everything I could think of the only thing that worked was I saved it as a PNG file.

Steve

Sadly, that doesn’t change anything for me. It’s really annoying that it’s always a lottery with the tracking images. One day everything works great, the other I can’t train anything.

Hi @menegonmaciej,

Could you please send through the tracking images you are having issues with (to support@zappar.com)? It might be to do with the image dimensions being odd numbers or simply being too large.

We can do some testing and work out what the problem is.

George

Hi, this time when I checked everything and converted the file to png it worked, but it didn’t display as working at first (checkerboard), but when i dragged a plane onto it it started displaying correctly, so i guess the viewport didn’t update until i added an object to force it to?

Hi @menegonmaciej,

You can click on the breadcrumb bar at the top of Studio’s interface to reset the scene, kind of like the reload button on web browsers. Clicking it once you have updated a target image can force the update within the scene.

The same thing sometimes happens when you add new content into the scene, which is probably what you found when adding the plane.

Hope this helps.

George

1 Like