Content doesn't track to target very well

I’m using Studio to augment an alpha video of a person from a target.

I’m finding that the content doesn’t stay on the target that well when moving the device around, despite the fact that the target is still in camera view and when I move away from the target or move back from it, the content will ‘stick’ to the screen instead.

I’ve looked into the Grab and Go feature but can’t find out to disable it on Studio.

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Hay Holly,

So I would start first by looking at this doc about what makes a good tracking image.

If your image doesn’t meet what is needed it will have this problem.

Now as for the grab and go. Is isn’t a setting to turn on and off. It’s something you have to set it up. What I believe is happening is that the tracking isn’t seeing the image and don’t know what to do with things so it looks like its “stick” on the screen when It’s really just floating looking for the tracking image.

You can setup the seen and not seen for your tracking image to hide your content when the tracking image is there or not to fix this.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.
I changed my tracker so it included a QR code, some text and a logo and I’m still getting the same issue.

I found this project which uses Extended Tracking, which seems a bit better: World tracking & Extended tracking - #4

But I have found that even this tends to ‘slip’ off the tracker unless you hold the camera really still.
I’ve attached a video so you can see what I mean.
I know I’m moving it around erratically but I got a similar screen recording from my client saying ‘it doesn’t work properly’

Hi Holly,

That extended tracking example uses a zapcode tracking method rather than image tracking, and is based on the zapcode being a known size - it’s not intended to be used with the preview zapcode that Studio pops up.

Can you share a video of your actual project and tracking target? It’s hard to know how to advise further without seeing that, but extended tracking is unlikely to be the right answer for you.

1 Like

Hi Simon,

I’ve attached a video of how it works from my QR code. Sometimes it seems to work ok, other times - like in the video - it’s just really bad.

The screenshot is what my Hierarchy looks like, this is in a Symbol Definition called ‘ZapcodeExtendedTracking’. This is how it was set up in the .zpp file in my reply above.
(FYI, I’ve changed the name of the video for the screenshot and that’s why it shows an error on ‘targetFinder’)

Unless something has changed, world tracking and Extended Tracking only works with the Zappar app not WebAR (IE QR codes) @simon?

So this will not work for you. You will need to use Instant Tracking for WebAR.
https://forum.zap.works/t/introducing-instant-tracking/5396

Steve

Thanks Steve,
I shall have a look into Instant Tracking.
Does this mean I can’t use a QR Code as an anchor for the content when using WebAR?

Technically, you could use a QR code as a tracking image, but it wouldn’t be a very good tracking image. As noted earlier up in the thread, there’s a few things that make a tracking image good and stable. A QR code alone is not a good tracker, but if is included in an image with lots of unique areas with high contrast, you should be ok.

As far as the trigger to launch an experience, I believe QR codes only launch WebAR, so if you want your experience to be viewable on the zappar app, I would recommend using a Zapcode. Zapcodes are easier to scan at smaller sizes anyway, so you can more easily integrate them into a tacking image.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.
That makes sense.

The app is Web AR and launches from a QR code. The tracking isn’t as important.

I have just tried to publish my Web AR app, using the Instant Tracking project, but when I scan the QR code, it stops at ‘unlocking’.
Is this still in beta?
Is there any way to scan my existing QR code and view my published experience?

Hi Holly,

Thanks for sharing the video - that makes things much clearer.

We use two different algorithms for tracking target imagtes:

1. Zapcode tracking. This is specific to Zapcodes, but works when the zapcode is small in the image. It won’t track if the view of the code is occluded at all. The fact it works well with the small target made it a good choice for the extended tracking demo.
  2. Image tracking. This is the “usual” way to track any image with sufficient texture and detail. It can continue tracking from more extreme viewing angles than the zapcode one, and can cope if there is some occlusion of the image, or it goes partially out of view. The downside is it requires the target to be bigger in the image than the zapcode one.

So having seen your video, the key problem is the target is too small in the camera view to track well. As others have said, QR codes by themselves do not make for brilliant “image tracking” targets, but it’s really the target size in the image that is the key problem here.

It usually works best to have the QR as a part of a larger image target, and then to scale the content down to a more reasonable size relative to the target so the user stays in closer (and hence the target is bigger in the camera view and tracks better). Here’s an example of a WebAR alpha-channel image tracked experience we put together from a menu for an event - the whole menu was the tracking target here.

Making your content smaller relative to the tracking target will definitely be needed if you want to improve the results with image tracking - you should also keep a bit more of a border between the edge of the target and the QR code - the corners of the QR code have lots of useful tracking points but they’re too close to the edge of the image to allow them to be used at the moment. Re-designing the image to be bigger overall with the QR code as one part of it is the best bet in general.

Other topics:

We have two ways of tracking without a target. “World Tracking” only runs in the apps as it uses ARKit and ARCore available only through native apps. “Instant Tracking” is available in WebAR but also has some caveats and might not work well enough for your use case.

You can try out the instant tracking version in https://wtbeta.arweb.app - if you have enough detail in the camera view (and notably a bit of detail near the anchor point itself) then it may work well enough for you. It’s something we’re still working hard to improve.

3 Likes

@abiro @simon @stevesanerd
Can anyone help with this scanning problem?

When scanning the QR Code it stops at the ‘unlocking’ stage.

As I’m using Instant Tracking, I’m guessing it’s because it’s still in beta so needs to go through the beta.zappar.app URL.

Is there a way to set the QR Code to go to the beta.zappar.app instead?
Or if there is another method?

Thanks

You would have to …

1. Need to make a new QR code with the right URL to send people to.
    (Sonething like this https://www.qr-code-generator.com/)
  2. Setup the QR code you have now with a project that would then forward to the use to the new URL.

Steve