Chromakey video

Hi All,

Can any one please let me know if ZAP supports chromakey video . I.e video with green backgroud , so it can be played removing the background , it then appears as if video is played on the target trained image.
Please check the video for more details on chromakey

sample chroma key video -

Iv’e also wanted to know if this feature would be avalable

Hi Suresh,

It depends on which tool you’re using, are you looking to display alpha video using the Designer or Studio tool?

Mark

Yes Mark. In designer docs I saw yesterday that for transparent video , I can use .flv encoded in vp6 with alpha video.Hope the same can be used in studio too . Need to explore.

Also Mark ,in designer tool can I place video formats like .mp4,.3gp ? For me it throws error , except for .ovg videos. Please clarify

You’re correct, the process for alpha video using the Designer tool is outlined here.

The Studio implementation is a little different due to the fact that only .OGV videos can be imported into a Studio project.

As such the current process for alpha video within Studio is as follows:

Export two videos - the color video and a mask video (black and white) both as OGV files. Make sure they both have power-of-two dimensions in width and height. Recommend 256x256 for both videos for performance reasons.

Drag both into Media Library.

Create two VideoTexture nodes:
One set source to the color video.
Other set source to the mask video and tick the mask property.

Create a Material node:
Set the skin to the first VideoTexture (the color one)
Set the mask to the second VideoTexture (the mask one)

Create a plane object. Set the material property to the material we’ve created.

In an event call restart on both videotexture nodes at the same time to have them play in tandem.

This implementation is due a rehaul but is the current way of getting alpha video in a Studio project.

To answer your other question you can see Designer supported formats here and Studio supported formats here.

Mark

Thanks for the solution Mark !! Will look into it :slight_smile:

What about the reverse, where anything in the camera view in the chromakey color is replaced by a background image - or, better yet, a window/portal into a 3D world that responds to your viewpoint? The Origami demo for HoloLens is a good example of a portal into another 3D world.

That chromakeyed “image” could also be a live video stream or a VNC session on another computer/VM. Imagine anything you’d want to do on a plane (or surface of a 3D object) overlay/replacing anything in the real world that’s in (or close to) the chromakey color (like a blue sky, or whiteboard, or green screen, or a black doorway,…)

Hi Jacks,

Unfortunately live chroma keying in-app is not something we currently support, all of this needs to be done externally in a video editing tool before being brought into ZapWorks Studio.

This is a cool idea however and has been passed onto the platform team as a feature request :slight_smile:

Mark

Can you stream the camera feed onto a plane or move the Z.Screen to the very front? Then you’d just need to define a transparent color to view what’s behind it.

You can use the camera feed as a texture using Z.CameraTexture, but there is no way of currently defining a color to be replaced by transparency.

I just walked through the “Augmented Portal” tutorial that you posted, and it provides the very effect I was looking for. It just uses a target image rather than a “green screen” to provide the portal into the 3D world behind it. The only limitation is that it can only be a square or circle (and you can only have one). Very nice!

2 Likes

hi. how do I save a video with transparency as flv now in 2019 when adobe and other apps do not export to that format, I tried VLC convert to FLV but it does not save the alpha channel. how to export to flv with alpha? thansk