Bug or crash when importing a POD file

I have created this very basic 3d object of a coke can in blender and used the geo pod exporter to create a pod file. Everything looks good in Pvp Shaman.

When I import into studio I am getting this error screen - see screen shot.

If I import a exported 3d file with the materials. I get not geometry to the object the just the image map shaped to the object.

Does anyone have a good workflow to importing 3d objects or fix for this ?

14%20PM

Hi, did you try with FBX format?

yes I did try FBX format thx.

Didn’t work correctly either. The problem was some parts of the object weren’t visible.

It’s a coke can. I had three surfaces, can body, label lid and bottom of the can.

Each surface has it’s own image map. The only part that came in was the can body.

Can you use multiple image maps ? Like the example of the fish model from adobe stock on their website.

Hi there,

In order to identify what the cause of the issue may be I’d need to take a closer look at the model itself.

Is there any chance you could send it through to support@zappar.com please? (Both the pod file and original obj/fbx file)

In the meantime, feel free to check out our documentation on Studio’s 3D limitations.

One common issue involves the use of materials in the model, whereas 3D models imported to Studio need to be linked to texture image files.

Thanks,
Seb

I had that problem as well. I found it had to do with the FBX file version. I couldn’t open some FBX files in Blender as well.
I needed to use a program called Autodesk FBX Converter x64 2013 to fix it.

Steve

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for sending your model through.

I’ve had a chance to look through it and figured it would be worth explaining what the issue with the model was on the forum for others to reference.

If we open the model in a 3D software, we can see that the model has been textured using materials.

As mentioned in our 3D limitations docs page, Studio doesn’t support the use of materials, as the model’s textures need to be linked to texture image files.

This is made clearer if we look at the model’s UV map within the same 3D software, as this is the texture channel that will be used in Studio.

As you can see in the image below, the model doesn’t have a cleanly unwrapped UV, causing the image being projected onto the model to appear distorted.

This matches with how the model’s textures are rendered in Studio when imported:

You’ll also notice the textures look flatter within Studio. This is because, as per the previously linked docs page, Studio doesn’t support the use of lights, which were present in the FBX file you sent over.

Any lighting should be baked directly into the model’s textures.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

All the best,
Seb

1 Like

Thanks for the info Sebastian,

Just learning about UV mapping in my 3d software lightwave. Also was trying it in Blender.

Seems like an easy thing to link the image files to the object and everything should work.

Is there any tutorials on how to do this ? I not experienced in 3d and just learning about mapping.

Its not in the scope of your software but thought you or anyone might know for a good tutorial so I can learn how.

Thanks

You’re very welcome Andrew :slight_smile:

I’m not familiar with LightWave myself, but I managed to find a few handy links for Blender.

This one has a pretty good explanation of UV maps.

The official Blender documentation site also has good information both in terms of UV mapping, and general use of the software.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Seb

1 Like