Blender to Zappar workflow - tutorial request please!

I need help getting from Blender to zappar! I’m feeling frustrated & defeated! It seems simple, but I’ve been at it for weeks (mostly learning Blender.) I’d love to start doing something cool, but I can’t even get a freaking textured cube in zappar!

Has anyone been able to successfully model something in blender with UV mapping, export it as a POD from blender, with UV textures and get it to work properly in Zappar? I’m having a rough time learning 2 new apps simultaneously and I need some direction/ help as I’m not sure where I’m missing a step. I’m only getting white models in the PVR tools and in Zappar.

If anyone that knows the exact steps to pull this off (Zappar folks) Please, could you post a quick tutorial with these steps:

1. make a cube in blender
  2. add a logo.jpg to the cube in the appropriate way (I assumed UV mapping - maybe that’s what is wrong?)
  3. Bake the texture into an image (jpg/png)
  4. export the cube and material image from blender in such a way that zappar will see it
  5. import the cube into zappar (I can only ever get a white model, never any textures!)

Thanks!
Mindy

1 Like

Hi Mindy,

It’s always difficult to learn a new piece of software, let alone two at once, I’ve been in that situation before :sweat_smile:.

But I’m sure if you keep at it, before you know it you’ll be creating awesome zaps!

Plus, you’ll always be able to find help here on the forum, or over at support@zappar.com, we’re more than happy to help.

In terms of the how to texture in Blender, I found a handy video tutorial (which I used myself) that shows how to texture a cube. The part of the video you’ll need is from the start up until around the 3:46 mark.

Texture a cube in Blender video tutorial

With your model ready, and within Blender, you’ll want to click ‘File > Export >’ and then select either ‘obj’ or ‘fbx’, like so:

BlenderExport

In the next window, you’ll be able to edit the export options. It’s important that you adhere to Studio’s 3D limitations, detailed in the link below:

https://docs.zap.works/studio/3d-models/supported-3d-features-and-limitations/

With this done, you’re now onto the final step, importing to Studio. The following docs page tells you how you can do that:

https://docs.zap.works/studio/3d-models/importing-3d-models/

If you have any other issues, let me know.

Thanks,
Seb

3 Likes

No matter what type of file I choose to export from Blender, Zapworks can never recognise the material nor texture. I tested .fbx, .obj, .pod and .gltf files so far.

Overall, I am really struggling to find a way to import scientific datasets from vtk to Zapworks. I am trying through Paraview -> Blender -> Zapworks. Does anyone have a better idea on how to do it?

1 Like

If you can post a file from blender (fbx, obj or pod) maybe we can see whats going on.

Steve

1 Like

files_from_blender.zip (947.3 KB)

I import from_vtk.x3d files to blender and then I tried multiple types in ZapWorks. None of them worked properly. I would be really grateful for help.

1 Like

Ok I get a flat block with no real color set. When you are adding it to zapworks remember to change under the using material: to standard lighting material. and check your scale tab. sometime it’s to big or small.

Here is a zpp file of your model. just drop it under the symbol definitions in the drop zpp files here box.
from_blender.zpp (221.0 KB)

Steve

1 Like

Thank you so much Steve. My main problem is that I want to preserve the material color. In blender it looks like this.

How can I achieve that in ZapWorks?
Next step would be to create and export an animation.

1 Like

Ok. With the files in the zip I don’t get that as a material color.
Do you have the blender format file?

Steve

1 Like

imported_x3d.blend.zip (753.4 KB)

Here is the blender file.

1 Like

I see it’s your lighting in blender that’s making the colors not the material of it.
I’m not very good at all the lighting in modeling yet. This one we may have to ask @Seb. I’m thinking you may have to make some lighting maps witch I’m not good a yet.

You can try making the DirectLights in zapworks and set the color and Energy/Intensity to what is in blender.

Steve

1 Like

I think color is coming from Vertex Colors:

2 Likes

I didn’t see that!

Well now just need to know how to make it in to a material zapworks can see.

Steve

1 Like

I read that ply file extension can also contain vertex color data, but when I try to import I get this error:

1 Like

I managed to generate and export a UV map with texture file.
It is a really nasty process in Blender. (followed this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86RqMffWgeM)
But it works!

Now, step further. Does anyone know how to export animation via Shape keys (sequence) from Blender to ZapWorks?

1 Like

I don’t use Blender but I do 3D. So, you are not far off the steps:

1. Model the cube
  2. Non-ovelapping UV mapping
  3. Baking the texture as a Jpeg or png.
  4. Animate the object.
  5. Make sure in your export preferences you export the animation.
  6. Import into Zapworks studio.

Make sure you don’t use colour lighting in the 3D too. You can work on your textures in photoshop too. When baking also make sure you turn shadows off unless you want to bake the object with shadows on and you are not using Zapworks lighting for that purpose.

You are probably trying to do too many new things at the same time. I know that feeling specially when you are jumping from one software to another. Here is a cube with textures baked so you can have a look. Unfortunately I don’t use blender but the principles are the same for all the 3D stuff.

Cubeexample.zip (375.8 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you so much. My main goal is to present scientific data, so in my case I will have sequence of 3D object. (changing topology and/or texture). Has anyone managed to export a sequence?
I see that .pod is exporting the sequence, but ZapWorks cannot read it.

2 Likes

For textures you can bring them separately and then change them with code but if you are changing the 3D mesh (like morph maps) then I believe that they will also need to be separate objects.
If it is an animation of the same object moving or rotating or whatever that is then you can bring the sequence, as well as an animated character. But if it is morphing the object then I don’t think zapworks will accept. Try to bake the animation and then import again.
If you want to send me your sequence I can have a look.
Better to ask Seb just in case.
Regards
Milenne

1 Like

Ok, maybe morphing the object is really difficult but maybe at least body with a sequence of changing textures? Like map of stresses changing over time.
I tried baking animation in blender and export to pod but ZapWorks still cannot see this.
my_sequence_for_AR 2.zip (7.0 MB)

1 Like

com-crop

This is an example sequence.

1 Like

Hi @wika90,

Studio doesn’t support the use of animated texture sequences as a material. As @digitalpopups mentioned (thanks Milenne! :slight_smile:) you can import these as separate images in Studio, and update them through code, or potentially a timeline.

You can find more information on Studio’s supported 3D features on this article from our documentation site.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Seb

2 Likes