Basic Blender .fbx file export doesn't look right when imported

I have been trying to figure this out for a while but my import of a 3d model using the .fbx file export isn’t working.

I have looked at the documentation and made sure all the settings are correct but it still won’t import correctly.
https://docs.zap.works/studio/3d-models/exporting-3d-models/#fbx-1

Here is an example of an .fbx I tried importing of just a simple block but I wasn’t getting anything to appear even when changing the using material setting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tc5qsspXp3CsgmOxj-GcnZyPLT7Xd4JK/view?usp=sharing

Any help is appreciated! :slight_smile:

I’m not really a modeler but when I export it as a pod file it works. even the timeline.

Basic Blender Help.zip (2.2 KB)

Steve

Importing as an .obj does allow for the model to come in but .obj files can’t do animations. That is why I am trying to export as a .fbx file. Do you have any luck with that?

Not with your model. because I’m more programer I don’t do much modeling. You may want to add the pod exporter to blender. That does do animations.

Steve

Thanks Steve!

I downloaded the was able to get the importer to work for POD files but I am not seeing textures with these files. I have tried a number of exports but Zapworks studio is not recognizing any areas for textures to be loaded but the animations do seem to be active. Have any ideas as to why the textures are not loading?

Here is one of the test files I tried of just a basic square.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iTS3pD4GLz0wbCZerkFJT4a93w4KhTqC/view?usp=sharing

Did anyone manage to resolve this issue? Seems like quite a big hole in ZapWorks for creators. I’ve seen this error pop up all over the place. It doesn’t look great guys…

I’m currently using Blender v 2.91, and export a few models in FBX to Studio. I don’t follow the instructions as they are for an older v (2.7 something).

I only make sure under “Limit To” > check “Selected objects”

In Studio:
Set the scale super low, my FBX models are always gigantic and invisible
change the lighting from unlit to anything else, seriously.
But this is also trial and error, bc FBX never behaves well compared to STL or even OBJ.

The real issue is the zappar not bothering to update or maintain documentation, a skeletal barebones structure isn’t enough. More troubleshooting directions would be favorable. Especially, if the answer to every software issue is going to be, “send me the project so i
can look at it” Whats the point in documentation?

Precisely, you’ve hit the nail on the head there. It’s one or the other. Don’t half :peach: it!

Thanks for the help Mapple, much appreciated!

Hi @mapple,

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the 3D model documentation. We have to hold our hands up and say that this section of the docs are slightly outdated and still show the older versions of Blender. We’re working hard to keep our documentation as up to date as we can but the 3D model documentation has not been updated in a while. It’s on our ‘to do’ list and will be a priority of ours along with some of the other outdated docs.

When importing a model into Studio it will take the model size that is already been assigned to it from the modelling software and scale it to a 2x2x2 surrounding box, the zoom value is then calculated accordingly. Lets say you have a box that’s set to 1x1x1 and the modelling software defines 1 unit as 1 meter or 1 cm, then Studio will always regard it as a 1x1x1 box, therefor it will apply a 200% scale to it. I’d recommend scaling down the model in the software you are using (Blender) before export if you are having troubles with it being too large upon import.

Changing the lighting away from unlit will mean that the model has lighting materials and will then react with lights added to the scene.

@ryan2160 please let us know if you have any further issues with 3D model importing into Studio.

George