Anyone know how to export from 3DS Max - FBX

I have a Tank built in 3ds MAX (2017) with basic scanline textures.

• In 3ds Max2020 it looks fine (see screen shot),

• it renders fine inside 3ds MAX2020,

• when export following the FBX information in the Zappar doc, seems fine.

• I take the model into Autodesk FBX Review v1.4.1 looks fine (textures turn off),

• However, when import the FBX into the latest Zapworks Studio 6 (into the “3D Model on Tracking Image” template) mesh objects moves around (see machine gun on turret) and wheel hubs are completely missing and textures are strange? Interestingly the “toon lighting” looks good?

To stop the hubs missing - I have made sure all normals are unified,
To make sure nothing moves I have grouped all objects before export 3dsMAX2020

Any ideas - thnx
Garry

Pouring through the forums - I can only assume that the ‘hub mesh’ on the wheels is too dense (res is too high). I’ll try selectively reduce the poly count on the wheels and hubs (or) reduce the over all mesh and re import - to see if that fixes the import process. I’ll also double check the ZS6 cull ‘back face’ function impacts it on the look. The whole FBX is only 3,347kb

Can anyone comment if POD file format does any automatic optimization of imported meshes ?

Garry, with the limited experience that I have, I’d say that some type of translation/optimization does happen on import. I had a model with multiple parts and some of them just didn’t import correctly, just as you describe. After some experimentation and tweaking of the meshes, I was able to get them in.

1 Like