Animating a Mask

Hi there,

I’m a complete beginner with coding and animation etc, and I’m looking at your software to produce AR for use potentially in an education setting within a museum. I’m working through the tutorials which you have (and are great!), but I’ve just got a bit stuck on one of them. I was doing the create an AR portal, which I successfully followed, but at the end it suggests further that you should animate the mask to fade in. Just wondering how you would do this?

I’ve had a play around, and thought timelines, but just got a bit lost and confused.

Thanks,

Libby

Hello Libby,

Apologies, the sentence in the suggested next steps may be a bit confusing as a mask can’t be faded in or out. Though, you could create an opening animation that would progressively reveal the mask.

We’ve put together a project that shows you an example of opening animation. Download augmented_portal_project_intro.zpp here. (1.0 MB)

In this example, when the tracking image appears in front of the camera, it is split into 2 parts (a top and a bottom one) that are sliding away from each other before vanishing, thus progressively revealing the mask.

To create this opening animation, we’ve started with splitting the tracking image into two images, one displaying the top part of the tracking image and the other its bottom part, using a picture editing software. We’ve imported these two images into Studio and animated them by creating a timeline and changing the value of the position for each image but also the alpha channel of the color value to fade them out.

If you have any other questions, please, let us know! :slight_smile:
Margaux

2 Likes