Theme : Ancient History
Start: 23rd Oct
Deadline: Friday 30th Nov
Using AR to tell immersive stories that educate and inform an audience on a given topic or business problem is one of the best ways you can utilise the tech. That’s why for the 5th ZapWorks user competition we’re challenging you to build your very own ancient history-themed AR experience that educates and excites users on your favorite part of ancient history.
Inspired by some of the most impressive civilizations and empires from ancient history such the Egyptians, Romans and Greeks, we want you to create an AR experience that brings these ancient civilizations back to life using ZapWorks Studio.
In terms of Studio functionality, we are offering you free reign to create a winning combination of any of the functionality and techniques we’ve used (and you’ve seen others use) in previous ZapWorks competitions including 360 Gyro, headset mode, masking and 2D and 3D animation. This is also a fantastic opportunity to use functionality you might not have worked on in the past (like dynamic lighting). As well as asking you to create an experience using an ancient history-themed environment, we are looking for you to include some additional layers of interactivity and entertainment.
This can come in any number of different ways, for example:
- Adding 3D models to your scene (bonus points for animation)
- Creating a game mechanic where the user has to find and collect items
- Using multiple scenes or environments that the user can switch between
- The inclusion of a parallax image or 2D assets
- Add tappable hotspots to display additional information
- Utilize Headset mode (VR) and using raycasters for interactivity
Don’t forget to document your progress on the forum, our team and community are always happy to provide assistance and feedback along the way. Most importantly, the team at Zappar hope that this competition allows you to learn something new and as well as enjoy the challenge of building your experience. Good luck!
- Include a target image
- Adhere to the ancient history theme
- Educate the end user on one or multiple parts of ancient history
- Include some level of interactivity for the end user
- Be built in ZapWorks Studio
- Include copyright material
Don’t have ZapWorks Studio? Don’t worry you can download it now Download Studio
Criteria for judging
Submissions will be judged on how well the experience educates, informs and entertains the end user on their chosen part of ancient history. The winning entry will be the one that combines creative flair with educational value.
- Target image design (remember the need for a clear call-to-action instruction)
- Transition between the target image and the space environment
- UI/UX - how well is the experience signposted
- Educational value - how well a topic, fact or concept is conveyed
- Complexity - how complex the project is
- Polish - SFX, nice animations, target events
- Assets - the quality of 3D models, 2D images, UI and 360 environments
Bonus points for:
- Adding 3D models to your scene (plus points for animation)
- Create multiple scenes or environments that the end user can switch between
- Adding tappable hotspots to display additional information
- Documenting your progress in a WIP (Work In Progress) topic on the forum
- Support for Headset mode (VR) and using raycasters for interactivity
Once again, your creations will be judged and critiqued an assortment of Zappar’s in-house team of AR experts. Judges include Lucas Perez, Creative Director, Anna Broadhurst, Lead Designer, & Tom Youel, Senior Creative.
Submit your experience before Friday, Nov 30th to be in with a chance of winning $1,000.