A Hinamatsuri Card

My sister’s birthday is on Hinamatsuri, (Japanese Girl’s Day) and I made this for her as a birthday to let her get a new perspective on setting up a hinadan. After giving her the card, both her and my other sister who helped make some assets and playtest, thought it was a good idea to submit it for the contest. This is the card.

HinadanCard

It’s current form is unfinished for a wider audience. It needs in game instructions, which were not a priority as I knew I would able to watch and assist my sisters experience, and I wanted to give credit for the websites I got the music and pattern for the hinadan skirt from. My sister also suggested there should be some message in the game explaining the cultural significants of the holiday, and what a hinadan is.

3 Likes

Very interesting!
Of course, I had to go to Wikipedia to learn more about this tradition. :slight_smile:
Along the way I learnt also about this incredible lady, Masako Wakamiya, who developped an Hinadan game App at age of 81!

I like the 2 steps:, first positionning the dolls and then be like a doll on the 1st platform (the empress, if I understand well).

Love it.

Bradley this is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing. I would love to see you keep going with the project and add the extra bits you mentioned.

Could you tell us a little bit about your background? How long have you been working with 3D models, and was this the first time that you used ZapWorks / AR?

I would also be keen to hear about any interesting problems that you faced with getting the project to work.

Thanks again!

jvouillon, yeah I got the Hinadan game last year the moment I heard about it.

As for my background, well I’ve been interested in programming and how people perceive the third dimension for as long as I can remember, but only recently have I been able to use that interest and the talents I’ve developed as more than a hobby.
Though I’ve experimented with everything I can get my hands on.

I actually found out about ZapWorks a couple months ago when my work wanted me to look into it as an option for an AR project we wanted to do (not yet finished.) I’ve been experimenting with it, and working on that, and I enjoy working with it, so I decided to experiment on my own and maybe make a few fun toys like this for people I know.

With this project some of the issues I’ve encountered is moving the perspective without it being jarring in VR, and implementing 2 control schemes that make sense for both modes. Now that I’ve had a little time to work on it again, this problem is coming up again as I realized I didn’t set it up well to start with. Right now to prevent the flower indicator from activating in phone mode I am just disabling the ray, but I want the ray to still work so that the dolls move their heads after they are in place when you go over them. And now that I’m in the process of adding more functionality for the credits, that’s more difficult.

Also matching the exact placement of Hinadan to the shadow it casts from the pre-rendered background was an interesting task, and I have just put in a second perspective with the same models.

1 Like

So I have a question, and maybe this goes in feature requests, or general discussion, but it also serves as a project update.

In Headset mode is there any way to adjust apparent distance of something oriented to the camera or screen?

As you can see, I have a reticle to use as a pointer in my experience so the user knows where the center of vision is for interaction in the first part. Similar to the one used in the example project for moving between spheres. However I quickly found that since I am using 3D models and asking you to focus on tiny little dolls, attaching it to the camera caused the reticle to be vastly different in distance than the dolls making it appear like 2 crosses (and flowers) on either side of what you were trying to focus on.
I first attempted to solve this problem by altering the focal range of the camera, but for some reason if you use anything other than -1 it causes very unwanted results.

I finally fixed it by forcing the reticle into the same group as the model itself, and then placing an object in a geosphere that adjusts it’s distance based on what the ray from the camera is hitting (note it only adjusts when it hits things that have a reaction) I then track that objects position in an infinite collider centered on the model, and place the reticle at the local position it returns, then I have to do some crazy math to make it always look the same size no matter the distance.
This is an extremely round about way to make sure that the users eyes can easily focus on both the reticle, and the object of interest without getting a headache. Now that I am trying to include the reticle elsewhere, and text prompts for instructions, it’s even more of a hassle as the size and distance of the model greatly changes in the different views, and I don’t like the distance the text is placed at in default, but I have no intention of doing all that tracking again.

If anyone knows if there is a simpler solution to this, or if there is someway to set the distance of objects set to the camera (especially if it maintains apparent size) It would be very helpful. And if there is not a way to do such a thing, then it would be a useful feature to look into.

Agree. Got the same problem (3D environment Focus problem), but I was a bit lazy and did not go deep in finding a solution as you did. Unfortunately I think the adjustment should be done all the time, because the problem occurs as soon as the focus is close from the observer. Ideally it could be great to be able adjust the position of the reticle/raycaster, horizontally inward, to mimic the cross eyed effect.

Hi guys, interesting thread, thanks! This will be a long post, but hopefully helpful.

Some background

When we first implemented headset mode we wanted existing scenes to sort-of work straight away. ScreenTransform (Z.screen is an instance of that) is an orthographic projection (meaning the size of objects is the same regardless of distance). When switching to stereo, the way to maintain the concept of “Z doesn’t matter” is to essentially scale all of the z coordinates to 0 so everything relative to screen is rendered on one flat plane. Then so it works in stereo that plane needs to be placed some distance in front of the user (and scaled in x/y so it all fits in the eye viewports).

We considered allowing the user to set that effective distance but in the current implementation it is fixed. In practice I wouldn’t really recommend using Z.screen for any headset experiences as there’s quite some magic involved in the above, and usual screen space properties don’t apply (eye viewports are not square, so e.g. objects positioned outside the -1 to 1 range in y may still be visible, or things in the corners may not be).

So that brings us to CameraTransform (Z.camera is an instance of that). In non-stereo mode the focal length of the camera for rendering content relativeTo Z.camera is chosen based on the focal length (another way of describing field of view) of the device camera, so that AR content lines up correctly. In headset mode the meaning changes and the camera setup used for rendering is based on what is required for each eye viewport. That is based on the headset parameters (lens distortion details, spacing, distance between lenses and screen) rather than the camera ones.

[As an aside, the fact that the CameraTransform field of view is now based on the headset parameters rather than the camera means the “focalLength” parameter doesn’t have a simple equivalence in headset mode, which is why it currently doesn’t do anything useful. We do have some thoughts about how we could map it in a vaguely equivalent way but no concrete proposals yet].

Differences between mono and stereo

When rendering a view from effectively a single viewpoint, you can get away with all sorts of things. You can easily mix-and-match orthographic and perspective transforms, you can have different focal lengths in different perspective views, and don’t have to worry about “real depth”, as you can arrange things to render in the order you want using overlay and hierarchy ordering for example. These are all perfectly useful and valid techniques when putting together a single-view full-screen experience, but in stereo experiences they can lead to problems.

Another interesting property of rendering a single perspective view is that the units are essentially arbitrary - if you double the scale of an object and also double its distance from the camera then it will look exactly the same. Our Target coordinate system goes from -1 to 1 in y and it doesn’t usually matter the actual physical size of the target. You can design an experience on a postcard-size print and then view it poster-size and if you stand a bit further back it will look exactly the same.

Units do suddenly become non-arbitrary when rendering in headset mode. That’s because the camera is shifted left slightly from the origin to render the left eye, and right slightly to render the right one. The actual shift in “units” between the two is the distance between the headset lenses measured in metres. This effectively means that units for anything rendered in Z.camera are now effectively “metres” as far as depth perception goes.

Conflicting depth cues

There’s a few different cues humans use to determine how far away objects are.

• The apparent size - if it’s a object that I know should be a certain size (eg a car) then I can tell how far away it is by how big it appears.
  • Ordering constraints - if I see something solid that obscures part of the car, I assume it must be in front of it.
  • Focus cues - if stuff is blurred it’s at a different depth to where I’m currently looking (NB: Usual VR displays can’t accurately recreate this. Magic Leap claim their “light field display” can do so, I’m looking forward to trying that).
  • Stereo disparity - how the object appears in a different place in left and right views.

The “disparity” one is the one most people think of when thinking of stereo vision, but the others are all important too (stereo disparity is only really significant a few metres in front of the viewer).

Now imagine in ZapWorks Studio you position a car model at [0,0,-3] relative to Z.camera. In headset mode that will appear 3m away in terms of stereo disparity. You’ll need to ensure the scale of the model is real-world too, to avoid a conflict between the apparent size cue and the disparity cue.

After that, let’s say you have a reticule positioned at [0,0,-5] relative to Z.camera, and you make sure it’s drawn on top (placing it later in the hierarchy and setting it to overlay layer mode). Now you’ve generated a conflict between disparity and ordering cues. The disparity cue tells us the reticule is behind the car, but the ordering cue tells us it must be in front. Generally the brain is pretty sure cars are solid and so it assumes the two reticule images are actually separate objects in front of the car. That’s why you perceive the reticule “spliting in two”.

The reticule problem

So clearly conflicting cues are a bad thing for the reticule. However even just ensuring it’s “in front of” the thing you are trying to get the user to look at is not enough. If the reticule is really close to the user and the thing they’re looking at is far away then it’s not possible to view both the reticule and the object of interest at the same time.

This is true in the real world too - make a reticule out of your thumb and forefinger, hold it 20 cm or so from your face and look through it at something a couple of metres away. Note you can only look at either your hand or the thing in the distance. With one eye closed it’s much less disturbing (hence how you can get away with all this stuff for full-screen single-viewpoint experiences) but as soon as you have two eyes open it’s basically impossible to attend to both things at the same time.

In headset experiences, all the content is always in focus regardless of distance, which makes this even more disturbing than in real life (if you focus on the thing in the distance through your hand then even though you see two images of the hand at least they’re a bit blurred so less disturbing).

So here’s the conclusion: for stereo experiences with a reticule, and where there is content at different distances from the camera, it’s going to be necessary to move the reticule as the user looks around.

Recommendations

So my first recommendation for headset experiences would be to only use perspective camera transforms (so CameraTransform nodes). As you’ve discovered, focalLength should also always be -1 - so you could just use Z.camera rather than your own CameraTransform nodes, but if it helps scene structure or the headset / non-headset switch then feel free to structure your scene however you want.

Secondly remember units effectively become metres in headset mode. Ensure everything is scaled to reasonable real-world values, and that the scale / position of all your objects are consistent with each other. As discussed, that suddenly becomes way more important in a stereo experience than a full-screen one. When importing 3D models, you might want to disable the auto-scale option so they keep their native scales (if the models were created in some real-world units).

One way you can measure things is just to add a plane relative to Z.camera, set it to full3d layer mode, and position it so it intersects the thing you want to measure. Then you can adjust the scale of the plane to measure it. Remember a plane goes from -1 to 1, so at scale [1,1,1] is actually 2 x 2 meters in headset mode. At scale [0.1, 0.1, 0.1] it would be 20cm x 20cm, etc.

How to adjust reticule position

The reticule is usually right in front of the user. As we need it to work in stereo, we avoid Z.screen, but instead position it at [0, 0, -z] relative to Z.camera.

The easiest way to adapt the z value as the user looks around is to use a Raycaster. Raycasters point down their -Z axis already, so just a Raycaster relative to Z.camera will do the trick. If you set colliderLimit to 1 it will only return intersections for the nearest object to the raycaster (the objects need to have a tag that matches the colliderTag set on the Raycaster). You can prefix the tag with global: to use it between subsymbols - see the tag docs.

Then I’d use a raycaster.on("intersections", ...); event to get the array of objects currently intersected by the raycaster in each frame. If the array is empty, just use a default value (1 or 2 metres is probably sensible but it will depend on your scene). If there is an intersection, you can get the distance from the camera to the object from the IntersectionEvent reported.

As we’ve measured the distance to the intersection from the camera, the maths is pretty simple if we want to keep the reticule the same size on screen - position it at [0, 0, -1 * distance] and set the scale to [scale * distance, scale * distance, scale * distance] where scale is just a factor that will control it’s effective size (essentially how big you want it to appear from 1m away if you want to think of it like that).

You might also want to adjust the distance a bit - eg have the reticule slightly in front of the reported distance (either a fixed amount of a few cm, or some factor of the distance - feel free to play around to see what works well for your scene).

Example project

I’ve attached a quick sample zpp showing that technique. There’s a couple of planes in an attitudeOrient group at different distances, and a reticule that will automatically move between them. When not over either plane it will be placed at 2m (the camera image is rendered at z=-5 in Headset mode at the moment if there are no tracking images in the scene).

Note I’ve also used a larger plane for the raycaster intersection region for the frontmost object so the reticule is moved forward before any part of it overlaps the front image.

HeadsetReticuleDemoFixed.zpp (38.2 KB)

Hope it helps, and good luck with your projects!

3 Likes

Hi @simon, thanks a lot for this very complete and interesting response.
I wanted to try your zpp file, but I’m not able to import it into Studio 4.0.4 (MacOSX). Made with a newer version it seems… :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey all,

I’ve updated the attached zpp in @simon’s post and it should now work in the live version of ZapWorks Studio :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Mark

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for that explanation.
Understanding how Z.Camera works helps greatly, and I have re-implemented my original reticule using camera space. It looks the same, while cutting down a ton of work for both me and users device.

As for having it adjust to any surface, while I agree that would be ideal, do rays cast onto 3D models, or only planes like the on touch does? (since I assume the computation would be similar.)

Hey Bradley,

You are correct raycasters only interact with planes, as opposed to 3D models, much like pointer events.

Cheers,
Mark

Well, had to stay at work later than I thought, just got my final version submitted. Hope the time difference doesn’t disqualify it.

So I did want to say a few things I did. After being placed as empress, you now can also sit at the table. In headset mode, you can then find the target again and it will display information on the holiday, it will display other information if you hold it up to the mural on the wall, or the hinadan itself. Without the headset, the scroll is just on the table (as it is difficult to hold the phone in front of you and the scroll at card at the same time) and you can tap to cycle info.

I also wanted to add the ability to tap on the websites I got the music and trim pattern from, but I did not have time to find those sites again and set it up, I will let people know once I have figured out the addresses.

I did opt to go with visual cues completely instead of text to guide the user.

An interesting problem I ran into was with 3D things with transparency and different relative markers. So all the items that the dolls hold are flat planes showing drawings (also done by Angela Cox), in order to prevent the full plane from culling other dolls, or items they are holding I had to set them to renderSorted. However when I made the scroll and had it set to overlay, but still tracking the image, you could see the dolls items through the scroll. The obvious answer was to set it to renderSorted as well and make sure that everything in the space was in fact too far back for anyone to reasonably reach so it would be on top. However the reset button like this would disappear whenever I held the card to the left or at a downward angle, because it was reading as being further back in order so the card was rendering over it.

I did solve that, by creating a texture that moved the image to the corner while allowing me to place the plane directly on the card, thus always in the same spot and rendered in queue order, however due to this interesting problem I think it is still possible to experience some flickering with the text on the scroll.

1 Like

As promised some credit given for a couple of my resources.
I obtained the music for the Girls Day Song from here
http://www.mu-tech.co.jp/music_files/WorldTrad/hinamatsuri.html

And I got the traditional pattern for the foot of the Hinadan, and the doll stands trim from here
http://www.heatherlynneshida.com/origami/PRINTABLES/choosePATTERN.html

2 Likes