3d scanning from your phone

Hay I just saw this on-line the other day and wanted to share.
You can use your phone to scan a 3d of just about anything.

Qlone

Steve

1 Like

Great Steve, Thank you!!
Marco

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Steve!

That’s some very impressive 3D scanning technology.

We’ve been playing around a little with the app with some decent results.

It’s a good idea to watch out for the poly count of the obj files produced however, as some scans produced models with a 300K+ poly count.

This could cause some issues with Studio as we generally recommend an upper limit of 100K polys for a whole experience.

In the meantime, feel free to post your findings as you experiment.

All the best,
Seb

1 Like

I’ll defo be giving this a go! Thanks for the post Steve! I’ve tried some other apps before but they were pretty ■■■■, so will see what this one is like :slight_smile:

Will defo be keeping the poly count in mind, hopefully we can reduce it in our 3d apps. But before I speak more nonsense, let me give this a go first :slight_smile:

Take care guys
Len

Edit: Dammit. Maybe it’s time that I invest in an iPhone

The quallity of the scan seems really avesome for phone scanning app! I guess it uses photogrammetry, or something similar

Googling 3d scanners for Iphone gave me rather strange post on Artec’s site (one of 3d scanners developer)… It would be really great to have an app rom them, but they are talking about “new iPhone’s 3D scanner.” Does it mean they gonna use Face ID like a 3d scanner…?

Greetings,

We are also using Qlone to scan company products for use in virtual / remote training. After some practice, we are producing some really detailed 3D objects. Our issue is when we attempt to embed the .obj file into Zappar. We are following the example / directions of the 3D Photo Feature Step-by-Step Tutorial and the tips from the Importing 3D Models into Studio tutorial for OBJs. Zappar completes the model creation and afterwards, returns us to the Import 3D panel where we are supposed to input the texture file. The previewed image is “flat” and not “3-dimensional” at all. We have the ability to rotate (preview pane) the flat image, but it is just a blurry black and white flat square plain. The object scanned was a device with the size and shape of the AppleTV box. Uploading the related texture file only turns the black and white flat square plain, into a primarily black flat square plain.

When exporting in Qlone, you are provided a preview before exporting. The 3D image shows as it was when we finished scanning. So, not sure if during the exporting process in Qlone something is corrupted or the .obj file and .mtl file that I am uploading into Zappar is not being read properly.

Please advise…

Thank you,

JT

It might just be easier to model these things yourself - especially something like an Apple TV box, must be quicker on the end if you want to control poly counts and so on?

Hello Technology,

Yes, creating from scratch would provide more control and may perhaps be quicker. However, our goal for the project is to work with smartphone enabled scanning applications like Qlone to produce high-quality 3D objects with little-to-no programming or artistic skills involved. Great news is the application Qlone does just that. Now if we can only figure out away to export the files and have them work in Zappar, we would be perfect!

We are not married to just Qlone. Qlone is the best “free” to scan application we have found that works with both iOS and Android devices. We are open to ALL suggestions on another smartphone 3D scanning application.

One of the goals for the project is to show leadership that we can produce high quality 3D-objects for little-to-no cost, and utilize them in easily deployable materials / learning content for distance learning. Example: Sending a ZapCode via email to remote technicians, who are then able to scan the ZapCode and virtually manipulate a 3D-part to gain knowledge of such part. This ability alone will save the company $1000s by avoiding having to either send the physical part to each technician and/or have the remote technicians fly into our training center to take a class on the part.

Hi your project sounds interesting, it sound almost identical to one of my projects at the moment - sending a code for a product, and being able to manipulate it. I am modelling from scratch though! How far along with your project are you?

Hello Seb,

We (My company and I) are attempting to use Qlone (iOS) to scan company products for use in virtual / remote training. After scanning using Qlone, we are having trouble importing the 3D output from Qlone into ZapWorks. The 3D file exports complete from Qlone, but once in ZapWorks, the 3D image looks monochromatic and flat (literally FLAT).

What 3D program/application created the birthday cake in the Twitter link you provided? What Zappar tutorial or blog post describes the scanning and implementation process completed in the twitter video? (i.e.Scanning 3D objects, exporting 3D files, implementing in ZapWorks.)

Hi @jerron.thornton,

We received your email but thought it’d be worth mentioning my response here for other users to see too.

3D scanning technologies don’t tend to produce very well optimised 3D models. Meshes are often very high poly, UV unwrapped incorrectly, textures and materials assigned incorrectly etc.

While occasionally models may work in Studio, we do not recommend importing them without making the necessary changes first.

3D models must adhere to Studio’s 3D requirements, and be exported using the steps mentioned in our export guide.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Seb