3D Object: Link, action, event etc by touch it

Is it possible to start an event by touching directly a 3D Object? I have tried the “pointerdown” script (just as for the plane object), but it doesn’t work. I want to start an animation of the object after it was touched. How can I do that?

Hi Matteo,

We don’t currently support pointer events on 3D objects.

You can however place a plane on top of your 3D model (handling your pointer events as usual) and set it’s visibility to be false so it acts like you’re tapping on the object.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Mark

1 Like

Thank you Mark,

I’ll try to do as you have suggested. I hope it will be possible to use pointer on 3D object in the future.

BTW: Is it possible to fix the plane on 3D model, but when I move around plane would be facing the display all the time?

No worries :slight_smile:

If you put both the plane and the 3D model within the same group in the Hierarchy then you can then move the group around and they will stay together.

It’s actually is a simple and smart solution.

Thanks again.

I have tryed working with a group, but the result is not what i was expecting.

Maybe I didn’t explane well, I want to do something like to Ciberknife demo -> https://zap.works/showcase/ buttons floating around the object but
facing the camera. Is it possible whitout a big knowledge of the code?

Ahh I see what you’re saying.

In the case of the Ciberknife demo, the buttons will have been manually animated using a timeline to match up with the movement of the 3D model, not a lot of coding knowledge needed, just a basic understanding of timelines.

Please see our tutorial video on timelines for more information.

yes, I have already seen that tutorial. Using the animation there is still an issue like when i move my smartphone around the object the numbers stay locked to the object, but they are facing the same direction all the time, instead of following the smartphone (when it is move around) just as it is demostrate in the demo that I have mention previously.

I’m just interested in making the numbers follow the object and rotate according to the screen coordinates.

Hope I made myself clear
Thanks

My apologies, what you’re looking for is a billboard group.

if you place your buttons in the billboard group and then have that group move to follow the 3D model then it should behave as with the example.

1 Like

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks again,
Matteo

Hi Mark,

is there a way to resize the plane? I’m trying to create a sensitive area in certain spots of the object (a collider basically) but the plane is enormous and it doesn’t let me modify the size.

Appreciate your help.

Vittorio

Hey @vittorioesposito,

You can scale a plane using the widget or the properties panel with the plane selected in the Hierarchy.

This is discussed in the Introduction article.

Any questions let me know :slight_smile:

Mark

Hi Mark,

that is exactly what i was doing before asking for help in this post.

Anyway i decided to start fresh and re-import both object i was working with and it worked straight away just like you said; not sure what happened there, but is working now :laughing:

Thanks for the prompt reply

Vittorio

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I was looking for!.
joe root
hr@ statistic assignment help

I think it’s good too.

Best regards balanceistische