ZapWorks Designer: How to make images come to life

The magic of AR comes from the way the digital content merges seamlessly with physical content in the user’s surroundings. One of the most effective ways to create this is to use the first frame of a video as part of a tracking image.

In this tutorial, we show you how to create this “coming to life” effect in ZapWorks Designer. This technique is relatively simple to implement, and we definitely recommend you try to include it to show off video content in some of your own experiences going forward.

You can find out more about the Designer tool in our documentation: https://docs.zap.works/designer/.

Have fun giving this a try and let us know what you think below :slight_smile:

Daniel

P.S. Want to talk about your project? Feel free to schedule a call with me through this link.

2 Likes

Hi i want to make a simple MR gadget like zap headset but simple and it’s just for educational use and research can you help me?

Hi there,

Great to hear you’re looking to learn how to use ZapWorks effectively!

We have a section on our docs page with Studio project tutorials which should help you get familiar with our AR tool.

If you’re looking to create an MR project, you’ll want to have a look at this tutorial from our forum which takes you through the steps of changing an AR experience into an MR one.

Our documentation site is also a great place to go for more information.

Also, feel free to post questions on the forum, and if you run into any issues you can email us at support@zappar.com.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Seb

I’m trying to replicate this in Zapworks Studio but am having trouble getting it to play my own video asset. I have followed the tutorial on streaming a video file from a hosted site, but not sure how to go about using an imported video as easily.

I’d ideally like to use Designer as it’s more user friendly for my simple projects, however the video quality once uploaded is quite poor, even after I’ve compressed the videos myself to the recommended requirements. I’m under the impression that with Studio I have the ability to control compression levels.

Hi @peterconvy,

It’s great to hear you’re jumping into Studio, it certainly allows for some more flexibility in regards to how content in your experience looks and behaves.

We have a handy guide with steps on using local video files which you can find here.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Seb

Hi @Daniel Can i develop this experience in zapworks studio?

Hi @cavallingianandrea

We have a tutorial over on our docs on how to stream video in ZapWorks Studio, which will allow you to make the same type of experience :slight_smile:

Hope this helps,
Deim