I’m super excited to announce the beta of the web version of our technology
What is it?
Zappar WebAR is the same Zappar app technology but running in the web browser rather than a separate app you install on your phone. Users can scan and enjoy Zappar content in the browser without having to download any apps. You can access Zappar WebAR here:
Why is it so cool?
- Most existing Zappar content works in Zappar WebAR without modification
- Most features of our platform are supported in the web, and where there are gaps in functionality (which may be due to browser constraints) we’ve implemented graceful fallbacks to improve the user experience
- Users don’t need any special web browsers; the version of Safari or Chrome that came with their device should work
Why is it ‘beta’?
We make extensive use of new web browser functionality to make this work, and so we expect that Zappar WebAR will not be as stable or featureful as the Zappar native mobile apps while browser technology matures and our implementation is road-tested. In particular:
- larger content experiences may hit memory limits faster in the browser than they would in the app
- browsers don’t give us as much control over the camera as native apps do, so tracking may suffer a little
- lots of the performance optimizations we have in the native apps aren’t available in the browser, so things may be a bit slower
In addition to improving Zappar WebAR as we go, we’re making changes to ZapWorks to better integrate WebAR support into your content development workflow.
We recommend that you direct users to the native Zappar apps while the web version is in beta. In the mean time feel free to try your content out at https://web.zappar.com/, and let us know how you get on! We’d love to hear your feedback - what works, what doesn’t, etc