Studio IDE Improvements

Can we have some insights into the development of the Studio Works IDE.

When editing script files in Studio there is only a single tab open for the current script being edited. Using the hierarchy to locate scripts is slow and difficult to maintain the context of the development cycle. Can we have a multi-tabulated main screen and common IDE tools introduced to help manage the coding activity more effectively ?

M.

Hey Marc,

Thanks for the multi-tab suggestion, I’ve passed it on to the platform team and will post any updates on this ticket.

In the meantime we have a couple of suggestions to help organise scripts:

1. It’s entirely possible to keep all code within one script node. While right clicking on a node to add a new script node with an event handler is often the shown method in our tutorials (e.g. pointerdown on a plane node), you can use an existing script node and drag in the node you wish to add an event handler to and select from the dropdown options.
  2. If you use the filter option at the top of the Hierarchy you can type $nodeType:script to show only script nodes. This can also be done for other node types, for example groups can be filtered using $nodeType:group We’re looking to document this process as we haven’t done so thus far.

Hope this was helpful

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the tip on coding into one script node (somewhat used to writing classes).

Would welcome the documentation on the Filter option, the $nodeType:script only removed the accelerometer node, whereas the $nodeType:g is a step in the right direction (displaying seen & notseen scripts in groups), but oddly $nodeType:group only shows groups … so I cannot figure out the logic !?

Will look out for the update on this, thanks !

M.

It’s hard to tell without looking at your project but $nodeType:script should remove all nodes that aren’t script nodes with $nodeType:group doing the same for groups (only displaying the group node, not children within it).

I think only having the g maybe causes the search to use the name of the node (showing nodes with the letter g in it) and not the type, I’ll confirm this with the platform team but in the meantime nodeType should be used for searching complete types of nodes.