Renamed - Global on device variable saving

I have made some large zaps like 10Mb. I know that I will be making bigger ones down the road. So I was thinking it would nice to be able to have the zap auto scan a new code from with in the running one. Like at the end of level 1 it would auto scan the next one for level 2. This would help keep the file size down.

Steve

Hey Steve,

You can already do this with deep links. It’s exactly what we’re doing to break big projects into smaller pieces. It becomes more difficult if you need to share data from a zapcode to the next. As far as I know, you would have to spin your own json-based server-client architecture for that.

Perhaps Zappar guys could look into saving data on the device and accessing that from multiple zapcodes? We can already do this within the scope of a single zapcode, but it would be really nice if you could have a group of zapcodes with access to the same device data.

1 Like

Ok! I knew there where deep links I just haven’t used them yet. I saw a post about one not working and that it needed a web browser to work. So I thought it was for a web page. I guess that’s what I get for not reading :smile:

Thanks
Steve

So I renamed this request thanks to @slothling to a way to save a global variable on the device.

I have used the one from with in a zap and recovered the data but it would be nice to have either a global variable that we could use. Or a way to recover previously saved variables from other zaps.

Steve

Hi guys,

Hope you’re both well.

It is actually possible to store a small amount of data on the user’s device that can be retrieved from different scans of the same code.

However if the device cache is cleared, whether by the user or automatically by the device, then this data will also be cleared.

Check out the docs page below for more info:

Storing Persistent Data

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Seb

I have done that but what about from a different code?

Thanks
Steve

Seems I misunderstood Steve, my apologies.

Unfortunately t’s not possible to retrieve the data across several zapcodes using that method.

Currently the best way to do this is with the method Ero described i.e. JSON files.

Thanks,
Seb

1 Like