Manual start zap code?

Typically a zap code is located on packaging or paper or on a website and is scanned with the zappar app on a mob phone.

However, if i am viewing a web site that has a zap code on the same phone that has the zappar app is there a way to manually start the zap code?

Typically I’d view the website on one phone or pc then use the phone with the zappar app to scan the screen.

If you only have one phone with the zappar app on it how do you start the zap code that you are viewing on tge same device?

1 Like

I think your looking for is Deep Links.
Deep Links

Steve

1 Like

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. Yes that looks like the solution - thank you.

Can I ask if they are they typically shown together? A zapcode for those users who can scan and for those who are viewing on the same device as the zappar app can trigger the deep link?

I guess you could if it was a mobile website. But if you are using a tracing image that will make things hard. Most of the time it’s really what you need to get things working for your needs.

Steve

Hi @garry.hargreaves,

As @stevesanerd mentioned (thanks Steve :slight_smile:) deep links allow you to launch an experience in the Zappar app without needing to scan its zapcode.

Please note that as Designer experiences rely on the camera detecting the zapcode/tracking image, it’s not recommended to link to these.

While you could in theory provide both a deep link and a zapcode on a website for example, it’s not a use which we typically see, or recommend, as zapcodes should ideally be printed for users to scan.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Seb

Thank you Sebastian, I agree, scanning a typical code would be the prefered mode. What is the standard approach if the user is reviewing content on a mobile website?. Couldn’t you just make the zap code a rollover hotspot (with a Deeplink) to cover that scenario?

Couldn’t you just make the zap code a rollover hotspot (with a Deeplink) to cover that scenario?

Apologies @garry.hargreaves , I’m not quite sure what you mean by this, could you elaborate further please?

If the user is expected to launch the experience from a mobile website, you could indeed use a deep link.

Deep links are essentially URLs that launch a zapcode (or open the app store to download Zappar if the app is not found on the device), so on the rare occasions that an experience will be launched from a mobile website, a deep link is usually provided as a normal URL link.

An arguably more popular use of deep links, admittedly unrelated to the issue in this thread, is to launch a second experience from within a separate experience.

All the best,
Seb

Hi Seb, im trying to get around the issue if a user is viewing a zap code on say a mobile website on a mobile device that has the zappar app on it ie: it can’t scan its self.

In that case, i could just make the zap code a clickable (tappable) object that would start the deep link and start the ar experience.

Thanks. Garry