Image doesn't show if you use circular crop

When you crop an image in https://www.lunapic.com , you can select Rectangle and Circle, among others. If you crop using the Circle tool the image doesn’t show in zapworks.

I think it’s because lunapic export 8 bits images. Just re-save your cropped image in a 32 bits file format.

It works with the rectangle tool.

Hi There,

Can you upload one of the images not working here so our internal team can investigate?

Also please let us know which of the tools the image is not working in.

Mark

A rectangle image doesn’t need transparency or alpha channel, and I think it is the way Lunatic deals with transparency which is the problem.

Can you upload one of the images not working here so our internal team can investigate?

No, but you can get any image to do that.

Also please let us know which of the tools the image is not working in.

As I said, it works with the rectangle tool and not with the circular tool. Go to lunapic.com -> Edit -> Crop Image and select the tool

A rectangle image doesn’t need transparency or alpha channel, and I think it is the way Lunatic deals with transparency which is the problem.

Any other tool can deal with the images cropped by Lunatic using the circle tool.

Hi @marks,

Thanks for sending that link through.

I believe @Mark was referring to which ZapWorks tool rather than which crop tool you were using.

I’ve had a look at Lunapic and it seems that rectangle-cropped images are saved out as png images, whereas circle-cropped images are saved out as gif files.

Currently gif files aren’t a supported format on any of our ZapWorks tools, so these won’t work.

Here are Designer’s, and Studio’s supported image formats.

You can find more information on our documentation site.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Seb

The default is GIF, yes, but you can save as PNG and the result is the same. It’s ZapWorks Studio.

Hi @marks,

I’ve used the Lunapic editor on several machines, and the option to save the image out as a png doesn’t seem to appear in any of them.

If the gif image is being saved with an added .png suffix at the end of the filename, this isn’t the same as saving the image as a native png file type.

Put simply, this would leave a faux ‘png’ file that holds gif data, and as such is not compatible with Studio.

If this is not the case, could you please describe your steps in detail, and provide an image for us to take a look at?

Also, you could look into using a more robust image editing tool to obtain cropped images, such as GIMP, to export your images correctly.

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Seb

save as PNG

If the gif image is being saved with an added .png suffix at the end of the filename, this isn’t the same as saving the image as a native png file type.

Maybe that’s what’s happening then.

Hi @marks,

Just a quick update.

The issue definitely seems to stem from the way that LunaPic exports png files.

I edited the same image in both LunaPic and GIMP (using the circle crop tool) and tested them both in Studio.

The LunaPic png image would not display in Studio, whereas the one exported from GIMP worked as expected.

If you can, check out GIMP. It’s a free image editor, with a lot of the same functionality as Photoshop.

All the best,
Seb

I see thanks. I will take a look into GIMP. There are also a few feature requests that I made, hopefully most of them make sense and are easy to implement.