Adding a 3D object to Zapworks Studio

Hi! I’ve downloaded Zapworks Studio and have made a 3D object in Blender that I also want to animate. My 3D object will be lit on its own because I know Zapworks doesn’t have dynamic lighting right now. My question is: how do I transfer the file I’ve made in Blender into Zapworks studio with the right file type, file size, etc.?

1 Like

Hi @huskcity

You need to add the POD exporter to your Blender install.
Instructions for doing this are here:

http://docs.zap.works/studio/3d-objects/

You can also try exporting FBX files - think there is a built-in exporter within Blender.

2 Likes

Couldn’t have put it better myself @charlietonkiss, thanks for that!

@huskcity we recommend the built-in plugins for Blender/Maya/Max when converting to POD as people have had the most success with that compared to the seperate GUI exporter.

You can follow the user manual from the guys who make the POD format in order to install the plugin directly here - https://community.imgtec.com/?do-download=pvrgeopod-user-manual

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Mark

1 Like

thank you both for the tip. the SDK package didn’t automatically install for some reason so I had to manually install from finder/applications/ over to the add-on folder inside blender pkg contents. now I’m facing down an error inside blender right after I set my file to export. I’ve tried various forum help but none with this exact issue has surfaced.

1 Like

Update: I’ve managed to save my file as a .pod file using the PVRGeoPOD converter. the next issue is a ZapWorks Studio error that says it is not a valid zip file?

1 Like

@huskcity For blender specific issues it’s worth getting in touch with their support team in order to try and resolve the issue.

With regards to your PVRGeoPOD version are you trying to upload a zip file? 3D models should be a POD or FBX model, feel free to share the output here.

1 Like

Did you manage to fix the issue with Blender and exporting PODs?
It seems from your next post that you did.

I remember that you have to place some libraries in very specific places within Blender to get it working, which is not 100% clear from the POD Exporter installation instructions.
I can look at my set up and report back, if you still need a hand.

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback, I’ve gone with a simpler design that won’t be as complicated :smiley:

1 Like

Okay, so here is my next question. I’ve got my .pod file ready to import, its a series of cubes. I am using the POD exporter GUI from Imagtech and how do I create an indexed triangle list that will be included in the .pod file? I have .png files for my textures also but I can’t get the window prompt to ask me to drag and drop them?

1 Like

In case you are using the standalone GUI exporter we highly recommend using the plug-in option for Blender, Maya or Max. We’ve had numerous reports of the the external exporter crashing or not working as expected.

When using the plug-in option you can follow the export options as outlined in our docs -
https://docs.zap.works/studio/3d-models/exporting-3d-models/. This covers the indexed triangle list option.

If you are determined to use the external exporter and the option isn’t the same as the plug-in as we’ve documented, we’d recommend contacting Imagetech directly.

1 Like

@huskcity - i managed to install PVRGeoPOD plug-ins for Blender App as per PowerVR guide, and I get the very same error you reported. I’m running macOS Sierra, curious how you got yours resolved??

@Mark - i tried with FBX export from Blender App. ZapWorks crash when I try to import it.

2017/07/09 00:53:30 ZapWorks Studio Server started

2017/07/09 00:53:32 GET /content/

2017/07/09 00:53:34 GET /content/

2017/07/09 00:53:36 GET /content/blender-marriage/root/structure.json
2017/07/09 00:53:36 Migration not necessary
2017/07/09 00:53:36 GET /content/blender-marriage/root/editor.json
2017/07/09 00:53:36 Migration not necessary

2017/07/09 00:53:44 PUT /content/blender-marriage/root/untitled.fbx
2017/07/09 00:53:44 Migration not necessary

Assertion failed: (elementCount == 1), function getTangentList, file …/PodExporter/PodExporter/FBXLoader.cpp, line 300.
Autodesk FBX SDK version 2017.0.1 Release (241562)
FBX file format version for this FBX SDK is 7.5.0
FBX file format version for file ‘/Users/research/.zapparstudio/blender-marriage/Models/untitled.fbx’ is 7.4.0

Warning: Invalid UV channel 0, mesh has 0 UV channels.

SIGABRT: abort
PC=0x7fffc7c40d42 m=3
signal arrived during cgo execution

Appreciate your help!

BR,
RG

1 Like

Quick update… i managed to resolve the POD export error by placing PowerVR POD libraries in the right folder on your Mac (Users/<>/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.78/scripts/addons)

Thanks anyways!!

If you’re still getting a Studio crash with your model, please upload the model here (along with any image texture files) so we can investigate further :slight_smile:

Hi guys im searching for answers we have a project like NBA 2k14 android we mod to 2k18 but we haven’t find out and explore. All of pod files in obb file.
My friend adding hair in head pod using blender but when converting head.pod it comes crashing in game we don’t know the right settings to convert pod comes from blender can you figured it out hows the right settings in converting pod using blender to PvrGeopod?

Hi there,

Could you please email us at suppor@zappar.com? From there, we will look into the issue you’re having.

Many thanks,
Margaux